Key Learning Objectives
- What is Unconventional Gas and where is it located?
- Onshore Gas, how does it differ from its more Conventional cousin?
- Why is there so much variability in natural gas prices and valuations?
- Will natural gas consumption increase or decrease relative to other energy sources?
- What methods are applied to identify unconventional gas targets?
- Why are exploration methods so much different from conventional gas exploration?
- How is unconventional gas extracted and how do the methods vary from conventional gas?
- What are the key data needed in evaluations?
- How much certainty can be applied to evaluation results, and where are the pitfalls?
- How is the technology evolving?
- How are markets developing?
- Environmental Issues and how this may be addressed?
- Impact upon stakeholders?
About the Course
The course is designed to be universally accessible. Receive an executive overview of the technical fundamentals and unique issues associated with onshore unconventional gas. This includes an objective science-based perspective on hydraulic fracturing (“fracking”) for unconventional reservoirs: what it is, key terminology, how it’s designed, what it does, what are its benefits, costs, impacts & risks.
The presentation material will rely on practical applications and on published studies to present a broad, fundamentals-based analysis of onshore gas and unconventional reservoirs.
Who Should Attend
The course is generally applicable to anyone who would like to understand more about onshore unconventional gas, including all stakeholders, native title specialists, government representatives, reservoir engineers, geologists, administrators, executives, potential investors in projects, and financial analysts.
“Extremely knowledgeable, able to explain complex things clearly and kept participants engaged.”
HSE Advisor, Arrow Energy
“Expert knowledge, open nature and willingness to answer any questions asked. Great course which was thoroughly informative and the presenter was excellent.”
Policy Officer, Department of Industry
“Friendly, relaxed, knowledgeable, experienced and straight forward. An excellent course with great content. Presented in a relaxed and informal manner. Good use of videos.”
Introduction: the background to Onshore Unconventional Gas
- Introduction; what exactly is Unconventional Gas?
- Is Onshore Gas by definition ‘Unconventional’?
- Unconventional Gas and Geopolitics
- The actual and probable impacts of unconventional gas development
- The role of Unconventional Gas as a transformation fuel; Fact and Fiction
- How energy markets work
- The experience of Onshore Unconventional Gas overseas, the good, the bad and the ugly
Background to Onshore Unconventional Gas in the Northern Territory
- Economic and labour market drivers
- Where is the gas?
- Recent Australian energy market developments and their impact upon the NT
- Specific aspects of the NT’s emerging gas industry and energy markets
- Shale Gas in the Northern Territory: likely development path
Onshore Unconventional Gas Fundamentals: the “essential science”
- The geology of Unconventional Gas
- Shale & Tight Gas fundamentals: are all prospects equal?
- Electric Log and Core analysis
- Shale & Tight Gas resources and reserves
- CBM and Hydrates are unconventional too
Operational issues associated with Onshore Gas
- Shale & Tight Gas production processes and characteristics
- Shale & Tight Gas completions
- Key differences to Conventional Gas
- The drilling fundamentals of Unconventional Gas.
- Hydraulic fracturing: key terminology, how it’s designed, what it does, what are its benefits, costs, impacts & risks.
- Production forecasting: new and improved
- Financial aspects of Onshore Unconventional Gas Projects
- Shale & Tight Gas wrap-up and discussion
Environmental and stakeholder issues
- Addressing environmental issues and perspectives associated with Onshore Unconventional Gas.
- What have been the actual impacts of Unconventional Gas?
- Methane emissions and the Greenhouse argument.
- The role of LNG
- Hurdles to technology transfer
- Emerging technologies
- What opportunities will emerge as gas prices increase?
Case studies and Exercises
A number of short exercises and case studies will be used throughout the course to reinforce key topics and terms, and to provide real life examples.
when & where
21 - 22 Nov 2019
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.