Key Learning Objectives
- Learn the legal fundamentals in contracting
- Identify the key conditions of your contracts
- Plan the entire contract lifecycle from design through to exit, including;
- How to make your contractual design better fit your company’s strategic objectives
- Create an outcome and productivity-focused methodology to developing your contracts
- Choosing the right team with the right skills
- Discover how to develop the key deliverables and KPIs for all parties to the agreement
- Gain exposure to the development of two key schedules:
- The Service Level Agreement
- Tips in how to negotiate, build and manage your bargaining power and control your costs
- Learn ways to ensure efficient, ongoing MRO contract operations
- Develop measures to indicate the health of your contract performance and your relationships
- Implement effective issues, variations and dispute management
About the Course
Maintenance, Repairs and Operations (MRO) contracting, in all its forms, is today a key strategy for most organisations: to enable competition in such a price and cost driven environment.
Obtaining the best business value from contract relationships is crucial to the short term and long term success of most organisations. To manage contracts today requires management to be skilled at the strategic and operational level.
No longer is the contract relationship only a commercial and legal instrument that gets signed and filed, it must be understood and actively managed to release its true value.
The course will enable you to measure whether value is presently being delivered in your MRO contracts. The course will look for gaps, and help you to develop the key skills for improving the performance and effectiveness of your MRO contracts, in terms of how they are negotiated and managed.
It will help you set KPIs, compare and contrast with best practices, and understand how to implement an outcome-focused methodology.
Who Will Benefit
This course is designed for managers who are involved in Maintenance, Repairs and Operations contracts.
Maintenance contract managers, officers, and administrators, engineers and superintendents, project managers and procurement staff involved in contract development and specifications. It will also assist those responsible for improving the performance of existing systems/processes using measurement/ KPI setting and analysis
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email email@example.com.
“Very knowledgeable about the course content and explained key fundamentals very well.”
Subsea Engineer, Woodside Energy
“Knowledgeable, broad experience, open and honest, direct, dynamic and funny.”
Integration Manager, Woodside Energy
Our expert course trainer Sean McCarthy delivered an insightful webinar on “Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables”.
- Overcoming some of the common challenges associated with managing contracts
- How contracts act as tools for achieving set outcomes across deliverables or projects
- The importance of contract interpretation and building confidence in dealing with contracts
The ‘business’ of maintenance
- Choosing a maintenance strategy aligned to the business
- The business strategies and contracting strategies that complement each other
- Goals of the contract arrangement
- Providers value propositions
- Exploring alternatives to get the best fit for all parties, win-win strategies
- The key deliverables
- The Design Organisation and internal engagement
The role of contracts in the commercial environment
- Defining a legal agreement
- The contract and governance
- Key objectives of contracts
- Variation by conduct
- Use of standard form maintenance contracts
- Examining maintenance specific contract examples
Planning the contract lifecycle
- Design – preparing the strategies and designing the contract
- Selection – prequalification models, selecting the service provider and negotiating the contract
- Preparation – turning the selected proposal into a manageable contract, the engagement plan, change over plan, performance measures
- Operation – how is it working, progress and review meetings, recognising and addressing issues
- Review – performance review, reinvigoration, and celebration
Developing key skills
- The skills required for successful contract development and management
- Measuring the gap
- Planning for skills you need
Designing maintenance contract outcomes
- The contract scorecard – designing the required outcome measures
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) – design the critical service metrics
- Incentives – answer the “so what?” question… who has what at risk?
Contract drafting methodologies
- Explore key contract planning issues – who prepares it, contract length, extensions, etc.
- Equitable apportionment of responsibility and liability
Developing the price schedule
- Exploring various pricing models
- Developing the preferred price model
- The total business impact of the relationship
Developing the service level agreement
- Developing service expectations
- Key responsibilities, KPIs and incentives, and reporting
- The contract organisation
Choosing a contract administration team
- Activities required for successful contract management
- Team alignment
- Setting the roles of each party – getting the right relationships
- Meetings – structuring meetings at all levels
- Reporting – timely reporting of the required information
- Evaluations, reviews and audits
- Issue, variation and dispute management – staying out of dispute
Negotiation skills and techniques
- Learn to identify conflict resolution styles and how they impact reaching agreement
- Role playing session – put it in practice
- Negotiation tactics – including roles, BATNAs, avoiding pressure tactics
- Prepare a negotiation plan – plan ahead and win
Examination of best practices and interactive discussion
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.