Key Learning Objectives
- The distinctions between ‘Managing’ and ‘Leading’
- Learn the key characteristics of Exemplary Leaders
- Achieve a sense of personal value and confidence in your abilities
- Gain clarity about your natural leadership style
- Assess candidly the influence your personality has on others
- Lead through ‘empowerment’ not power
- Gain respect and appreciation from those with whom you interact
- Experience a sense of personal growth
- Be the first to initiate
- Expect and give acceptance to maintain esteem
About the Course
In a fast paced and changing environment, the focus is increasingly on the need for effective leadership, not just good management.
Women aspiring to leadership positions face particular challenges. They often encounter far more rigorous tests to determine their suitability for promotion and must be active in seeking selection for leadership positions.
To create your own opportunities, it is vital that you identify and acquire the characteristics and competencies of an effective leader and integrate these into your personal leadership style.
Through interactive exercises and group discussions, you will gain powerful communication, negotiation and influencing skills which will help you succeed in male oriented working environments.
You will learn how to achieve an assertive, but not aggressive, response style and create and sustain an image of authority. You will also acquire valuable techniques to help you lead, empower and motivate your staff to excel.
Who Will Benefit
This course provides an unparalleled opportunity for women to develop practical leadership skills, as well as to benefit from the breadth of knowledge and experience of their peers within a range of commercial and public organisations.
The course is relevant for new and emerging leaders to give them the tools, perspectives and insights into navigating as a manager and leader. It is also a good refresher for managers/leaders who would benefit from stepping back and reflecting on their role, and how they can further improve their performance and job satisfaction.
“I felt so immersed for the whole 2 days. I left wanting more, just what I need! Thank you, thank you, thank you.”
Head of Safety, EDG-Woolworths
“Sandi was awesome at understanding everyone and making sure we are all engaged. Despite being tired, my mind didn’t wonder once over the 2 days because Sandi’s presentation style was so fascinating”
Senior Open Space & Recreation Planner, Sunshine Coast Council
“Sandi was clearly passionate about her topic, very engaging and taught every section in a relevant and scientific way.”
Principal Planning Officer, Queensland Health
How Can Women Be More Effectively Assertive?
Sandi Givens is the expert presenter of many of Informa’s development programs designed and run especially for women, and we were delighted to have her as a guest on our webinar on “How can women be more effectively assertive?”
Managing and Leading – what’s the difference?
- Shifting from ‘Technician’ to Leader
- The move from ‘Buddy’ to ‘Boss’
Characteristics and Skills of Effective Leaders
- Leadership Traits and Competencies – Personal and Organisational Focus
Identifying your personal ‘Glass Ceilings’
- Demystifying the concept of glass ceilings
- Beliefs and assumptions that might be holding you back
- Taking control of your Self-Talk
- Critical Language Distinctions
Why you are worth it!
- The essential pillars of self-esteem
- Are you your own worst critic?
- Why and how we block our own progress
- Critical language distinctions
Your Natural Leadership Style
- Balancing the ‘Masculine’ and the ’Feminine’
- Exploring Gender differences
- Values-based Leadership
The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership
- The research – Kouzes and Posner
- Practice #1: Challenging the Process
- Practice #2: Inspiring a Shared Vision
- Practice #3: Enabling Others to Act
- Practice #4: Modelling the Way
- Practice #5: Encouraging the Heart
- Activity: application of the practices to your business environment
Personality: Working with differences
- Understanding why people do what they do
- Knowing your own strengths and limitations
- Discovering how you may be perceived by others
- Building behavioural flexibility to work more effectively with difference
Finding Your Voice through Powerful and Authentic Communication
- The litmus test of assertiveness
- Identifying mutual ‘wins’
- Why people don’t listen to you when you’re in conflict
Feedback – Giving & Receiving
- How to conduct an effective feedback session with someone
- Using Questioning Techniques to get to the heart of a matter
- Receiving Feedback Fearlessly!
Your Action plan for the Future
- Identifying achievable First Steps
- Action Partnerships
when & where
18 - 19 Jun 2020
26 - 27 Nov 2020
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.