Key Learning Objectives
- Recognise how improving the patient experience can improve clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction and reduce staff stress
- Understand why standards relating to patient participation exist in the accreditation systems of health, aged care, mental health and disability services.
- Be able to identify and plan ways to improve the patient and staff experience
- Recognise the risks to achieving a positive experience and discover ways to manage them
About the Course
This course will take you on an interactive journey to transform the patient and staff experience. We will start by looking at the vision for how and why transforming the patient experience has the potential to reap financial, staff, reputational and patient benefits.
We will reflect on the context in which we are tasked to transform patient experience, the expectations of patients, the public, media, government, accreditation bodies and the environmental constraints of money, time and staff. The risks involved and ways to manage them. We will look at examples and practice transforming service design and delivery to enable person centred care.
To finish we will look at how to achieve the most important success factor for improving the patient experience – a positive staff experience. Research has clearly shown, that organisations who fail in this area will only achieve change in patient experience at the cost of the physical and mental health of staff.
You will leave with practical ideas on how to take your staff on the journey to transforming the patient experience.
Who Should Attend
This course will benefit leaders, managers, quality and risk management staff. It is particularly suited to people directly involved in quality improvement initiatives to transform the patient experience or implement accreditation standards relating to person centred care.
Live Online Training
Learn Anywhere, Learn Anytime
Catering to meet all your learning needs:
- Get high quality practical training from our expert instructors
- From Face To Face, Online and Blended Learning, get a superior solution for your learning needs
- Learn live online in an interactive environment
- Invest in yourself. Invest in your team.
Register today for our Live Online Training courses and fi nd out how they can help you transform the way you work. Contact one of our training consultants on firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
“Michele was very engaging, easy going and engaging throughout the course”.
Clinical Quality Manager, Department of Defence
“Very good course, Michele was an excellent presenter. Contribution from the group was well facilitated”.
Nursing Manager, Lavarack Health Centre
“Very engaging – good at moderating the flow of conversation”.
Regional Medical Advisor, Department of Defence
“Very good course and the presenter. Would encourage others to attend”.
Health Governance Manager (Central & West Australia), Department of Defence
1. The Vision
- What a transformed patient experience looks like through the eyes of a patient
- The role of accreditation standards in achieving this transformation
- What do the words mean in practice – patient centred, choice, control, partnering, re-enablement, independence, cultural sensitivity, dignity of risk, self-management
- The evidence on the financial, reputational, clinical, staff and patient benefits
2. The Risks
- The expectations of patients, the public, media, government and accreditation bodies
- Time, finance and staff limitations
- The consequences of failure
- Opportunities to successfully reduce risk
3. Designing services to transform patient experience
- Examples of patient centred design and delivery
- Identifying need
- Practice transforming service design and delivery – Service access, care delivery, incident and complaint management
4. Transforming the Staff Experience
- Teamwork to improve working environments
- How to develop good relationships with patients
- Encouraging staff to be empathic, caring and responsive especially in times of high stress and conflicting priorities
- Minimising the risk of aggression
- Communication skills to calm, empathise, inform, apologise and smile
when & where
08 Sep 2020
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.