Key Learning Objectives
- Identify your preferred leadership style. Does it fit your current position?
- Overcome the ‘imposter syndrome’ that plagues women in leadership roles
- Confront the impact of hostile work environments on your wellbeing and learn strategies for managing these pressures
- Overcome female self-limiting patterns and understand your sources of personal power
- Power Cues: Understand male leadership behaviours and how to use this to your advantage
- Learn how you can create an image of authority, executive presence and influence
- Practice a negotiation style that fosters cooperation, while building professionalism and respect
- Discover how to seek out opportunities through mentoring and sponsorship and be offered the higher profile jobs
- Cultivate networks with connections and decision makers to champion your worth and build your influence
About the course
Women in leadership positions face particular challenges.
Many women have to actively seek out leadership opportunities and face more rigorous challenges than men to determine their suitability for promotion. Knowing how to adjust to the complex demands of today’s workplace and operate in relationships with men to share the power, pose difficulties for women.
This course will help you navigate a pathway for your future and create your own opportunities so you can pitch for the higher profile work in the organisation. It will advise you on fostering mentors and sponsors as advocates to promote your worth.
This practical and interactive course is unique because it’s as much about acquiring techniques as it is about sharing key challenges and specific concerns, and receiving feedback and support with others in similar situations.
You will learn to effectively deal with the pervasive and increasing rate of change and identify opportunities arising from this.
It will be a highly interactive, practical workshop with the benefits of shared learning with like-minded women through guided facilitation.
Who will benefit
This course has been designed for all professional women who are in a leadership role. It may also be beneficial for those women who are interested in a new perspective on leadership and reflecting on their current role. It is not suitable for those not in a leadership or management role as it will address issues specific to those in these positions.
It will assist women who wish to enhance their personal profile, communication and interpersonal interactions and accelerate their career.
A CPD Course
Use this course to help fulfil your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) educational requirements to retain your professional/chartered status.
Contact your relevant association to learn how.
“I enjoyed the collaborative feeling and positive interactions within the group. I have learnt so much about effective communication and influencing.”
Process Engineer, BP
“I learned about the issues faced by other women in the industry and how to build a stronger network within the business.”
Senior HR Manager, Downer EDI Mining
“Very interactive group discussions. The course gave me some extra ideas and tips on managing up and down as a leader and how to break the perceived barriers of gender & age.”
HR Advisor, Northern Network Alliance
TAKE A SEAT AT THE TABLE IN CORPORATE AUSTRALIA
- Selling your strengths and creating your ‘authentic’ personal brand
- What is your special currency that sets you apart from your peers?
- What is your preferred leadership style and does it fit your current position?
- Overcoming the ‘imposter syndrome’ that plagues women in leadership roles
- Believe that you are the right person for the promotion
- Being confident to promote yourself to your organisation although you feel isolated with few women at the top
- Take on the sometimes hostile ‘macho’ culture with an influential communication style
- Confront the impact of hostile work environments on your wellbeing and learn some strategies for managing these pressures
OVERCOMING FEMALE SELF-LIMITING PATTERNS
- Pitch for the higher profile jobs and don’t be stuck in the back office doing work that nobody knows about
- Promote your successes – own them and make them visible to leadership
- Frame your accomplishments in terms of what the organisation values
- Don’t undersell your capabilities – be comfortable championing your worth
- Don’t self-select out of more demanding roles – women typically believe they are not ready unless they have 100% of the skills required – men will ‘give it a go’ and learn on the job
- Be resilient – take risks and learn from failures
UNDERSTANDING YOUR SOURCES OF PERSONAL POWER
- Target the C Suite (C00, CFO, CEO)
- Look for the role models to guide and advise you and keep refreshing the pool
- Learn through case studies of other women who have overcome great obstacles to succeed in a man’s world
- Network on this course with other like-minded women to share
POWER CUES: UNDERSTANDING THE MALE LEADERSHIP STYLE AND HOW TO USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE
- Use the male ‘lens’ to understand how men in leadership positions see the world
- Understand ‘unconscious bias’ and its effect on female career paths to leadership
- Tackle the unintended gender bias in recruitment, promotion and appointments
- Men in leadership roles prefer working with those similar in style – convince those appointing, that your difference in style adds diversity to the role
- Analyse the differences in communication styles between male and female leaders – know how to get your ideas endorsed
- What can women learn from men and use to their advantage?
- Influence male senior management by cracking the unwritten code that creates barriers for women getting ahead
- Don’t support the perception that the female ‘collaborating’ is of less value than the male ‘promoting’ style
EXECUTIVE PRESENCE: WOMEN CREATING AND ACHIEVING AN IMAGE OF AUTHORITY
- Overcome the difficulty of deciphering Executive Presence (EP) in male dominated cultures
- Learn how to embody the winning leadership attributes
- Identify the components of executive presence in your workplace: appearance, communication and gravitas
- Develop the skills to enable you to have greater authority to command a room and project depth and confidence through your voice and interpersonal skills
- Use assertive language, personal image and body language to convey power, confidence and authority
- Be authentic and protect your personal brand
ADVANCED NEGOTIATION SKILLS FOR FEMALE LEADERS
- We are all negotiators – review – what kind of negotiator are you?
- The gender pay gap – your success as a negotiator effects your pay and retirement options
- Principles of negotiation (some basic ‘rules’)
- Winning and losing: dealing with conflict
- Position bargaining versus principled bargaining
- Strategies to become a more successful negotiator
MENTORING AND SPONSORSHIP TO INCREASE YOUR VISIBILITY
- Using mentoring as a career strategy for managing the unexpected and the potential
- Seek out mentors to modify your style with honest feedback on ‘organisational fit’
- Manage mentoring relationships as they are collaborative partnerships
- Understand the importance of the ‘sponsor effect’ and seek out effective sponsors as champions
- Understand that it is sponsors who traditionally help women get their ideas endorsed
- Cultivate sponsors who can speak up in your favour and improve your chances of being offered leadership roles
- Protect the integrity of the sponsorship relationship – their brand is connected to yours
NETWORKING FOR STRATEGIC ADVANTAGE
- Learn how to accomplish goals through networking
- Build networks with those different to you in experience, interests and background
- Strategic networking: having political intelligence (PQ) as a leadership capacity to work with multiple stakeholders
- Cultivate networks with connections to decision makers to champion your worth
- Cultivate cross geographical and cross cultural networks in a global economy
BUILDING YOUR SPHERE OF INFLUENCE
- Know what you have to offer your organisation
- Know what you want and where you are going
- Market your successes
- Profile yourself in front of the influencers
- Maintain the integrity of your personal brand
- Take charge of your future
- Devise an action plan for the next stage of your career
- A comprehensive manual for further reference and reading
- Templates for application in key communication contexts
- Tools to use the very next day
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.