With recent high-profile patent application failures in the US, Intellectual Property (IP) rights have never been so far to the fore of the life science industry. Ownership of IP is an essential ingredient for a successful partnering deal, yet can present a knowledge gap for non-legal professionals.
This course will present you with the key information to understand what is meant by IP, the types of IP available, with a particular focus on patents and the ways in which IP can impact on the partnering process.
Key Highlights and Benefits
- Understand the forms of IP protection and how they work
- Examine what drives the need to protect inventions in pharma/biopharma
- Delve deeper into patents: their parts, scope and limitations
- Consider how your IP strategy can impact on partnering – pre and post finding a partner
- Investigate other possible complications arising from IP in a partnership
- What drives the need to protect inventions in the pharma/biopharma industry
- Patents: the biggest value driver for biopharma products
- What do you need to get a patent?
- Timing and where you should file
- Patent prosecution and grant, and patent maintenance
“I enjoyed the negotiations sessions and the hand-on experience parts the most.”
Head of Scientific Evaluation, Prudue Pharma LP
“The supporting notes for opening term sheet as a checklist were great and in really enjoyed the case studies.”
Manager Marketing & Business Development, TTY Biopharm Company Limited
“I liked the fact that there were variety of people from different backgrounds and roles. The course definitely met my objective.”
Business Development Associate by Neuroscience, F. Hoffmann – La Roche AG
Benefits of Learning Online
EBD Academy’s online course is a new digital, interactive and engaging educational experience designed to maximize learning for professionals with busy schedules and/or small training budgets.
- The course is released in bite-size chunks, so you can easily implement what you learn during the course
- Content is pre-recorded, and modules are released gradually over a 3-week period
- Each module is just one hour long making your learning experience simpler!
- Take a short quiz after each module to consolidate what you have learned!
- As an added benefit, you will have unlimited access to all course materials and our professional learning community for a further 2 months after course completion.
Professional learning community
- Discuss any problems with fellow students and share insights in our professional learning community.
- Interact directly with the trainer throughout the course and for 2 months after.
- Once you have registered for the course, you can login and access course content here.
- You will have direct contact with the trainer, Thomas Siepmann, J.D., Ph.D.
- Thomas is a registered patent attorney, who owns Siepmann IP Consulting. Having years of experience within the industry, he provides intellectual property services to chemical and biotech industry companies – from start-up to blue chip.
Grow as a team
- With multiple licenses your team can learn together, no matter where they are in the world!
About EBD Academy
Born out of a partnership between EBD Group and Pharmaceutical Training International (PTI), EBD Academy provides highly specialized and immersive training that is committed to the personal progression and employability of professionals involved in pharma/biotech partnering.
Working in partnership with EBD Group, our vision is to enhance key skills and competencies to maximize successful partnering and accelerate career progression. We aim to deliver enriched learning content that has been researched with industry to tackle industry challenges and eliminate skills gaps.
MODULE ONE: INTRODUCTION TO PATENTS AND IP
INTRODUCTION TO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- Patents, trademarks, design patents, trade secrets, regulatory exclusivity: what they are and how they work
- Application versus granted IP right
WHAT DRIVES THE NEED TO PROTECT INVENTIONS IN THE PHARMA/BIOPHARMA INDUSTRY
- Investment recovery
- Market access and pricing
PATENTS: THE BIGGEST VALUE DRIVER FOR BIOPHARMA PRODUCTS
- Parts of a patent application: Claims, Specification, Background
- Patent scope: impact and relationship of the claims and the specification
- Geographic limits of patents
MODULE TWO: PATENTS: IN MORE DETAIL
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO GET A PATENT?
- Basic criteria: novel, inventive/unobvious, industrial application/patent eligible: Differences between US, Europe, and Japan/China/S. Korea
- Strategy for putting a patent application together – and evaluating a patent or application in due diligence
TIMING AND WHERE YOU SHOULD FILE
- Priority application
- Foreign filing (PCT, direct filing)
- Country-specific considerations
- Other countries
PATENT ENFORCEMENT: NOTICE, LICENSE, PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION, LITIGATION, SETTLEMENT
- Differences between compound and development/secondary patents
- Differences in jurisdictions: US, EU-5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK), Japan and China
MODULE THREE: FACTORS TO WATCH OUT FOR IN THE PARTNERING PROCESS
IP DUE DILIGENCE
- Ownership issues
- Patent scope: Claims (scope, validity) and geography (market coverage)
WORKING WITH YOUR PARTNER ON PATENTING STRATEGY – POSSIBLE IMPACT ON ALLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- What to file, when, and where:
- Country scope
- Patent extensions for health authority instigated regulatory delay:
- What patents are eligible
- Who can get the extension
- What extensions are available: US, EU/Switzerland, Japan, Australia, S. Korea
- Co-ownership and potential resultant complications if the collaboration unwinds:
- Other countries
when & where
06 - 20 Apr 2020
03 - 17 Aug 2020
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.