Key Learning Objectives
- Absorb the complexity of managing today’s contracts and providers
- See modern techniques for strategically managing the range of contracts in your portfolio
- Obtain tools and techniques to get real results and performance through strategic thinking
- Benchmark your organisation against best practices, and chose the practices right for you
- Be conversant in the key aspects of law that affects managing contracts
- Avoid the Winner’s Curse – 20% of contracts are cursed from the start
- Kick off a contract management strategy
- Examine the use of a Governance Charter – a best practice for contract management agreements
- Have your personal contract management style profiled and benchmarked, and see how the styles can affect your team and relationships with providers
About the Course
With the majority of an organisation’s spend being under contracts with suppliers, service providers, vendors, and consultants, contract management is one of the core activities of a modern organisation.
But contracts do not manage themselves. People choose what aspects are managed given their skill and time constraints.
Here in Australia, we under-invest in contract management – only half of what our colleagues overseas do. Here, we often just administrate contracts, rather than design and drive the strategies that yield high-performance outcomes.
This workshop is designed to help you transcend the traditional, more administrative role that has been the nature of contract management here. This course is ideal for those ready to drive contract management to new levels at your organisation. You recognise your organisation’s need to think strategically, think long-term, and think results.
This 2-day workshop provides the concepts and tools used by leading organisations throughout the globe. Think of it as a 2-day shopping trip for best practice – but only what works in practice, consistently, across many organisations. You’ll be shown many examples, have many interactive exercises to try things out for yourself, and be in a supportive and frank environment in which to soundboard current issues and challenges.
Who Will Benefit
- Contract officers, managers, and administrators ready to step up and lean in
- Group managers and team leaders who want to accelerate the contract management maturity and capability of those whom they manage
- Procurement professionals responsible not just for buying wisely, but delivering results from the contracts put in place
- Category managers in charge of multiple contracts and driving multiple lifecycles
- Vendor and supplier relationship managers wanting to broaden perspectives and competencies
- Leaders, advisors, and influencers wanting to challenge the status quo to get a much higher return on the spend with external parties
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email email@example.com.
“One of the best short courses I have attended. Lots of new ideas. Contract expenditure, scorecards, and dispute prevention were outstanding. Sara has extremely wide knowledge and excellent way of expressing clarity.”
Energy and Contracts Manager, Horizon Power
“A refreshing look at making contracts work rather than relying on legal clauses. Huge subject knowledge, clear interesting presentation.”
Terminal Retail and Facilities Manager, Alice Springs Airport
“The course gave me a number of useful tools that I can take back to my workplace. It was all relevant and the pace of discussion was very good. Sara brought enthusiasm and a great deal of knowledge.”
Manager – Contract Governance, Bankwest
“One of the best that I’ve been on in terms of relevance and appropriate to audience.”
Contracts & Purchasing, Conoco Phillips
“Course introduced me to new techniques which I have found beneficial and which I believe can be introduced successfully into my organisation. Many practical work sessions on how the theory could be applied in a practical work situation.”
Assistant Director, Economic Regulation Authority
“The course was very interesting for the whole two days and I liked the handouts. Sara is very practical, with challenging questions, enthusiasm, and an engaging persona. It’s the best course I’ve done.”
Contract Advisor, Xstrata
Our expert course trainer Sean McCarthy delivered an insightful webinar on “Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables”.
- Overcoming some of the common challenges associated with managing contracts
- How contracts act as tools for achieving set outcomes across deliverables or projects
- The importance of contract interpretation and building confidence in dealing with contracts
WHY MANAGING CONTRACTS MATTERS
- The effect on results
- Power leverage
- Legal effects
DIFFERENT STRATEGIES FOR DIFFERENT WAYS OF CONTRACTING
Sole-sourced vs. Multi-sourced vs. Head vs. Panel contracts
DIFFERENT STRATEGIES FOR DIFFERENT SITUATIONS
- Monopolies vs. competitive markets
- Alliances vs. arm’s length
- Strategic vs. non-strategic
- Domestic vs. global
- Small vs. large
- Services vs. products/equipment
- Projects vs. recurrent spend
- Set the outcomes and the stakeholders
- The Contract Scorecard
- Case studies
VALUE FOR MONEY
- The three pricing options that providers debate before they quote
- The Winner’s Curse – beware
- Total cost of contract and case study
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CONTRACT LAW FROM A STRATEGY VIEWPOINT
DESIGNING THE CONTRACT MANAGEMENT (CM) FUNCTION
- The 12 best practices
- Investment case study
- Benchmark your organisation and determine where the focus should be
THE CONTRACT MANAGEMENT STRATEGY
- Walkthrough crucial elements that take little time but have a big payoff
- The CM network – clarity and alignment
- Case study
- Learn the key elements of this contract schedule that drive good interparty contract management
- Work on building one of your own
EXAMINE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF HIGH-PERFORMING DEALS
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.