In the corporate environment, your worth as a business professional is judged by your people skills, your ability to harness the commitment of others and your capacity to positively influence and persuade… it all comes down to communication.
Key Learning Objectives
- Learn that traits usually attributed to women can successfully influence others, including those more senior to you
- Discover the impact of your own communication style and how to adapt it for positive outcomes
- Recognise and interpret behavioural characteristics of others in your workplace
- Understand how you and others communicate so as to achieve results for the business
- Position yourself with confidence and credibility
- Learn how to act assertively and deal with conflict
- Negotiate for results with integrity, objectivity and focus
About the Course
In the corporate environment today your worth as a business professional is judged not just by what you achieve, but how you achieve it.
Your ability to work effectively and influence a wide range of people will maximise your opportunities to be successful.
During this interactive course you will gain clarity about your role as a communicator, influencer and decision maker.
Discover how your personal communication style and preferences affect what you do, and learn how to use this knowledge to maximise your impact on others.
Have you encountered conflict situations within your team, with your peers or even with your boss?
Alternatively, do you sometimes feel like the “piggy in the middle”, as colleagues or stakeholders go into battle around you, requiring you to act as a mediator?
This course will help you understand what to do in these situations by creating a safe and fun environment to practice new techniques and increase your capacity to influence internal and external stakeholders.
Who Will Benefit
This course is not a leadership course. The program has been designed as an entry level skills development program for women, designed to enhance the professional growth and development of female business professionals, and their capacity to influence stakeholders.
Any woman who wishes to enhance her personal profile, communication and interpersonal interactions and raise her level of confidence in the workplace will benefit from this interactive training course.
UNDERSTANDING DIFFERENT COMMUNICATION STYLES BASED ON GENDER AND BEHAVIOURS
- Examine differences in communication styles between men and women in the workplace
- Understand the attitudes, values and beliefs of others in order to communicate more effectively
- Identify what constitutes positive and negative communication and learn how to interpret the signals you give and receive
- Learn which of your behaviours leads to positive outcomes and why
- Goal setting – motivation to change
- EXERCISE: A communication audit to determine your preferred communication style at work
CONTRIBUTE TO SUCCESSFUL TEAMS BY ADAPTING YOUR STYLE FOR RESULTS
- Discover your unique communication style in a team environment, recognise your strengths and weaknesses and how they affect others
- Identify the communication style of others, and adapt your approach to improve working relationships
- Understand team dynamics to create a positive team working environment
- Develop an effective style – matching it with team member needs
- EXERCISE: Recognising team role characteristics in yourself and others
RESOLVING COMMON COMMUNICATION BLOCKAGES
- Assertiveness – understanding your own style and how others respond to it
- Learn how to express yourself in an open and honest manner – deal with negative feedback
- Learn to say ‘no’ responsibly to unreasonable demands
- Check your internal dialogue – do you speak negatively?
- Use dynamic listening skills combined with powerful questioning to receive and deliver a message that will be understood
- Overcome self limiting patterns that undermine your position in the organisation
- Communicate your opinions with confidence and clarity
- EXERCISE: Practise dialogues that use effective communication, listening and asking questions, giving and receiving feedback
DEVELOPING ASSERTIVE COMMUNICATION TECHNIQUES
- Understand the differences between assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours and their impact
- Develop strategies to manage aggressive or passive responses
- Develop techniques which will help you to project confidence
- Overcome a passive style and command respect from former peers, younger or older employees
- Techniques to avoid being manipulated while conducting yourself professionally
- How to avoid being bullied and retain your self-respect
- EXERCISE: Recognise types of behaviours and their impact on others and learn how to develop an assertive approach, and how to deal with ‘difficult’ people
CONFLICT MANAGEMENT AND RESOLUTION
- Define conflict and why it is needed within the workplace
- Explore gender conflict
- Recognise your personal conflict management strategies and those employed by others
- Understand how to ‘map’ a conflict by identifying the issues, the parties, the needs
- Determine the most appropriate conflict management resolution strategy to adopt
- EXERCISE: Advantages and disadvantages of each type of conflict management strategy and how to work with others using these strategies… mapping a conflict
POWERFUL NEGOTIATION TECHNIQUES FOR WOMEN TO ENSURE BETTER OUTCOMES
- Overcoming self-limiting patterns as a female negotiator
- Observing gender differences with negotiation tactics
- Developing assertive behaviours to strengthen your negotiating position
- Understand the role of the negotiator, mediator or arbitrator
- Prepare a Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA), if your request is denied
- How to handle ‘dirty tricks’ and gender issues
- Develop strategies for dealing with an aggressive negotiator
- EXERCISE: In a simulated negotiation, practise an evidence-based, persuasive argument when asking for a job opportunity
- Managing the predictable, the unexpected and the potential
- Take charge of your future
- Devise your own career action plan
- EXERCISE: Develop a Personal Action Plan based on course topics, including how to monitor progress and how to measure success
- A comprehensive manual for further reference and reading
- Templates for application in key communication contexts
- Tools to use the very next day
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.