Key Learning Objectives
- Learn the concept, principles and benefits of Beyond Budgeting and understand why an increasing number of organisations are adopting the “BB” ideas.
- Understand how BB aligns with other modern management concepts and tools
- Find out how organisations apply BB in practice – and how a phased approach to implementing BB may be the most pragmatic solution.
- Develop a practical BB implementation plan to take back to your organisation.
About the Course
Budgeting is a universally applied management tool and discipline. But most organisations – especially the business managers – are highly dissatisfied with the traditional budgeting and associated planning processes.
Budgeting is widely viewed as an exercise in minimisation – everyone is “playing games” such as use-it-or-lose-it, sandbagging, inflexibility, inflating expense budgets and minimising income budgets, last year plus X% – and so on…
The result is obvious for all to see. In a fast-changing world, with so much value now created from “intangible assets”, the typical budget process produces a budget which is out of date even before it is finally approved by senior management, is often poorly aligned to the strategy of the business and generally is a bureaucratic overhead that destroys rather than adds value.
Most organisations, fully aware of these common problems aim to improve their budget process to limit the problems – the evolutionary approach.
But an increasing number of organisations recognise that just tinkering with a broken system is really not the answer. Instead they adopt a more revolutionary approach – they abandon budgeting completely as we know it. They have adopted Beyond Budgeting.
This one-day programme provides an introductory understanding of the concept, benefits and the practical implementation aspects.
Who Will Benefit
- Senior management and line management in both finance/planning and business roles who recognise that the current limitations of budgeting and planning – and the associated management models that they use – need radical improvement: also those who are attracted by “beat the competition not the budget”
– Note – “competition” includes benchmark and other comparisons and is not restricted to direct commercial competitors
- Management and supervisors at all organisational levels who are looking for a better model of budgeting and planning
Overall rationale, history and concept of Beyond Budgeting
- Why change is necessary – the serious limitations of traditional budgeting
- The basic concept and sought-after benefits – how much is changing the planning / budgeting process and how much is about management philosophy and culture?
- Abandoning the negotiated annual performance trap – incentivising people to achieve market / benchmark success, not to beat an internal negotiated budget
- If budgeting is abandoned what do we use instead? What management tools are consistent with the principles of Beyond Budgeting?
- Origins in Sweden 40 years ago
- How the Beyond Budgeting concept has grown internationally through to the present day – the Beyond Budgeting Round Table
- Evidence of success
The key principles of Beyond Budgeting
The BB concept is built around 6 process and 6 leadership principles.
This session outlines each of these principles and examines the practicalities and well as the conceptual theory.
The session includes an evaluation exercise to consider to what extent, if at all, your organisation already applies some of the BB principles
Case Study examples
- How the BB concept aligns with other modern management concepts including Rolling Forecasting
- Examination of a number of case study examples, with learning outcomes.
- Group discussion on each case will be focused upon
– Were the claimed benefits related to tangible process improvements or changes in management behaviour and organisational culture, or both?
– How did Beyond Budgeting help the organisation to beat the competition (or the benchmark)
Practical Implementation issues
- Understanding the scope of the implementation programme and the sought after benefits
- Whilst every implementation programme will be somewhat different, what are the generic key steps of implementation and the practical challenges that need to be faced and addressed?
- Delegates will develop their own take-away action plans
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.