Venue, Accommodation & Travel
Mackay Entertainment & Convention Centre (MECC)
Alfred St, Mackay QLD 4740
Ph: (07) 4961 9777
For your convenience, Lido Group will organise your accommodation and travel, please use the link below or call 02 8585 0808.
The Mackay Region
We're delighted to be bringing the ARA's Heavy Haul Rail conference in 2016 to one of Australia's most vibrant and picturesque regional cities, Mackay!
The huge 66,484 square kilometre Mackay Region offers diverse destination experiences, complemented by an enviable climate with average daily temperatures for the winter months of June- August ranging from just over 22C.
While you're visiting, you'll have the opportunity to enjoy:
- a compact city with charming, lovingly-restored art deco buildings
- the blue-water Pioneer River winding through the city, accompanied by the three kilometre Bluewater Trail walkway
- oceanfront beaches where you can share sunrise with kangaroos or experience a horse racing carnival on the flat sand expanse
- a vibrant seaside marina with alfresco dining plus activity options such as boating and fishing
- pristine rainforest hinterland and national parks which affirm Mackay's banner of "Nature. Reserved"
- a truly unique opportunity
The Mackay Airport Beach Horse Racing Festival is a unique combination of events surrounding the festival highlight The Mackay Airport Beach Race Day. The mild 24 degree winter weather will see 7000 + people converge on Mackay Harbour Beach on Saturday 27th August 2016 to witness the 5th annual running of one of equines most exciting spectacles. The lead up to the race day offers visitors a great opportunity to experience some famous Mackay hospitality and weather. From Thursday 25th August, a swanky cocktail party will launch the festival followed by a fun social charity golf day (Friday 26th morning) & Garden Party/Calcutta (Friday evening) all adding to the fun.
For more information visit http://mackaybeachhorseracing.com.au
Whether by rail, air or road, Mackay is one of Queensland's most accessible regional destinations.
Rail access is available via Queensland Rail with five return services per week to key regional areas.
There are affordable and frequent air services into Mackay with Jetstar, Qantaslink and Virgin Australia, including regular services between Brisbane, Rockhampton, Townsville, Cairns and Sydney. There are more than 70 flights per week providing the easy 1.5 hour connection between Mackay and Brisbane. Mackay also has excellent road connections to all Queensland
Photo Credit: Tourism and Events Queensland