TASER Conducted Electrical Weapons (CEWs) or “TASERs” have been entrenched tools in Australian Law Enforcement, providing an accountable, incapacitating tool for everyday police duties that protects officers and the public, and saves agencies large sums in injuries and settlements.
How can these products help agencies save money?
Studies show that agencies who deploy CEWs see:
- fewer injuries to both suspects and officers*
- a reduction in settlements, workers compensation and rehabilitation costs.
New Smart CEW’s (X2/X26P) with Pulse Log technology have increased accountability showing pulse by pulse mapping of the CEW output.
While TASER CEW’s protect suspects and officers from injuries the digital evidence ecosystem (AXON and Evidence.com) protects officers from frivolous complaints meaning that officers spend more time protecting the public and less time in a courtroom or transferring evidence between stakeholders.
The AXON system consists of two small camera options (AXON Flex & AXON Body), both of which can be mounted to an officer or in a patrol car to provide video evidence of incidents. EVIDENCE.com is a holistic digital evidence management system that allows agencies to efficiently store, manage, and share all of their digital evidence (audio, documents, photos, videos, etc) whilst maintaining secure chain of custody throughout the process.
Field Studies – AXON & Evidence.com
Rialto PD study (2013) in conjunction with Cambridge University (UK)
- Controlled 12 month study with randomized allocation of cameras across 50% of officers and shifts;
- Agency saw a 30% increase in officer contacts with the public when they introduced cameras;
- Statistics show the TASER cameras reduced complaints by 87.5% over the twelve-month period;
- Use-of-force incidents dropped by 59% when the officers were wearing a camera;
- With cameras paired with Evidence.com docks, there was an increase in officer time on patrol of 9.2%.
Albuquerque PD Major US City Department 2010-1013
- Implemented a number of video camera solutions and evidence management strategies.
- Statistics show, with the agency managing digital evidence using internal systems and practices, a total cost of ownership over five years of $18.5 million dollars.
- Using TASER’s AXON cameras with Evidence.com the total cost of ownership over five years totaled approximately $6.4 million dollars
- 100% increase over four years in officers exonerated from complaints;
- 39% reduction (2011-12) in cases requiring full investigation
- Evidence Mobility Application, Evidence Mobile for iOS and Android further transformed digital evidence workflow for efficiency savings and chain of custody benefits
*Police Executive Research Forum report shows CEWs associated with a 70% reduction in officer injuries and a 40% reduction in suspect injuries.
Breon Defence Systems & TASER are Platinum Sponsors of the 2014 Police Technology Forum, to be held on the 12-13 March in Canberra. Jeff Kukowski, Chief Operating Officer at TASER International will be delivering a presentation at the event addressing the integration of technology and evidence management. Visit the Police Technology Forum website for more information about the outstanding speaker line-up featuring presentations from New Zealand Police, Queensland Police, Albuquerque USA, Australian Crime Commission, Police Federation of Australia and many more.