Key Learning Objectives
- Understand the global make-up of the oil and gas industry, its jargon and its challenges
- Gain awareness of the oil and gas field life cycle
- Discover petroleum exploration and appraisal methods
- Appreciate oil and gas reserves estimation and the associated uncertainty
- Understand field development planning and development concepts
- Determine the basic components of oil and gas production, processing and refining
- Review the abandonment and environmental issues associated with the industry
About the Course
This intensive 1 day course will provide participants with a solid framework on which to build an understanding of the technologies, concepts, methods and language used in upstream oil and gas projects.
The technical and commercial building blocks of a typical oil and gas field life cycle will be explored; how a venture progresses from the point of acquiring a license, through exploration, appraisal, field development, production and decommissioning. Links to the downstream refining and the LNG business will also be briefly covered.
Participants will discover how oil and gas moves from reservoir to market and understand how the industry is organised around this activity chain.
Who Will Benefit
This course is a basic level introductory course. It is designed for people who want understanding of how the upstream oil and gas business works and is organised. It is designed to provide an awareness of how the oil and gas business works and a framework on which participants can build more detail.
“Great overview with enough detail to explain the concepts even if you have no technical background – Information”
“Everything – excellent balance of technical and commercial overview – enough detail, but none redundant”
Stream Leader, Flow Assurance, CSIRO
Oil and gas resources; who owns them, who uses them?
- Main producing countries and regions
- Main consumers; established and emergent
- OPEC vs. non OPEC, NOC vs. IOC
- The exploration and production value chain
The petroleum field life cycle
- Gaining entry: exploration licence types and agreements
- Exploration and appraisal
- Development and production
Exploration and Appraisal methods
- Gravity and magnetic
- Seismic – 2D and 3D
- Drilling, logging and testing
Reserves and resources description
- Reservoir rock types
- Structures – faults, folds, fractures
- Reservoir fluids and composition
- Drive mechanisms – how does a well flow
- Volumetric estimates and reserves classification
Field development concepts and planning
- From reservoir to surface – well completions and artificial lift
- Basic processing equipment and flow scheme
- Facilities options and concepts – onshore/offshore
- Evacuation options
Oil and gas production
- Managing the reservoir and wells – workovers / infill wells / EOR
- Managing and maintaining surface facilities
- Managing the export process to refinery
Decommissioning and Abandonment
- Decommissioning methods
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.