Key Learning Objectives
- Fluids and their flow properties
- Pump types and classifications – learn to differentiate
- Pump operating principles and various components
- How to select a pump for a given application
- Matching pumps, pipes and systems
- The advantages and disadvantages of positive displacement and centrifugal pumps
About the Course
The operation and maintenance of pumps is a highly technical and complicated task, and any mistakes made during pump selection could result in downtime, breakdowns, escalating costs.
This training course is designed to provide you with a fundamental overview of the operating principles behind pumps, the basic properties of fluids, energy, the different types of pumps and their main components.
Learn how to select the most appropriate pump for a given application, do’s and don’ts of systems and pipework.
This course emphasizes the different parameters affecting pump operations through interactive discussions and practical exercises.
Remember to bring a ruler and your calculator
Who Will Benefit
This course is an ideal introduction to pumps for all personnel who have to deal with pumps or peripheral equipment and even people from other disciplines, who have had little or no experience with pumps yet have a need to obtain a basic understanding of how pumps work.
Technicians, project managers, plant managers and maintenance personnel working in production industries, mining, utility services, petro-chemical, steel making, food and beverage, pulp and paper and any other industry where pumps.
Fluid mechanics, pressure, flow and pump components
- Introduction and background to pumps
- Review of the different properties of fluids, pressure, flow
- Vapour pressure
- Overview of various pump types and classification of pumps
- The operating principles of pumps
- Pump components
Positive displacement pumps
- Their classification
- Types of positive displacement pumps
- Suction head
- Delivery pressure
- Impellor construction
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Theoretical pressure head
- Pump losses and actual pressure head
- Cavitation and net positive suction head
Pump selection procedures
- Flow properties
- Fluid properties
- Criticality, maintainability and reliability
Pump and pipe systems
- Pump curves
- General system curves
- Matching a pump and a system
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.