Key Learning Objectives
- Behavioural awareness and Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- Understand how values and beliefs influence peoples’ behaviour
- Learn how your awareness of these influences can improve your ability to communicate effectively
- Improve your self-knowledge, empathy and rapport through EI
- Utilise your awareness of your own values, beliefs and behaviours when approaching challenging situations
- How do I best handle this situation?
- How to I best handle myself in this situation?
- How do I best respect the other person/s?
- Communication skills
- Observe the role our thinking, body language and tone play in dealing with conflict
- Practise the skills of listening and empathy
- Understand the pros and cons of different stakeholder methodologies
- Appreciate what behaviour is/isn’t acceptable and how to address each
- Conflict dissolution
- Understand the nature of conflict and reaching a positive outcome
- Become comfortable in dealing with opposing views
- Develop strategies to manage your emotions and actions
- Apply theories and ideas to actual situations – and adapt to suit
- Use conflict to develop a stronger respect for others’ strengths
- Increase team cohesion – use conflict to develop stronger respect
About the Workshop
Managing interpersonal issues, conflict, difficult situations, anger, frustration, demotivation and awkward dialogues are so much more than developing a plan of action. We need to understand the dynamics behind why all of this is occurring. This is where the importance of psychology and behavioural awareness comes into play but sadly, people can often go through whole careers without realising how understanding human behaviour can help them significantly with performance and job satisfaction.
- Why do people behave the way they do?
- Why do I behave the way I do?
This course provides frontline workers with a way of improving their self-knowledge by understanding and appreciating all of this important psychology, coupled with tools and techniques to communicate with assertiveness and confidence in the future.
We will take a unique look at the behavioural factors behind the practice of conflict management, and our emotional response to conflict, difficult behaviour and tension. Understanding ourselves and others enables us to be in a more positive framework in order to manage these situations more effectively.
We will develop ideas and understandings around our beliefs, emotional intelligence and the ways in which tension and conflict may be defused and managed. Numerous practise role plays will reinforce these ideas for each participant.
The program will identify situational experiences on development projects and how to apply the behavioural awareness and communication skills to determine how to approach each stakeholder situation.
Throughout the workshop participants will be encouraged to introduce their specific issues and challenges on projects, to help frame the learning and discussions.
Who will benefit
This will benefit all those people working on the front line of projects who interact with stakeholders. These include engineers, operators from developers, contractors, consultants and government. In particular, project and infrastructure developers in the coal seam gas and oil and gas industries, who have been faced with many stakeholder challenges in recent months.
A CPD Course
Use this course to help fulfil your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) educational requirements to retain your professional status
Understanding the nature of conflict and tension
- Understand how conflicts develop
- Understand the escalation and triggers
- Review of various theoretical approaches to conflict
The psychology of conflict
- Ego, position and personality aspects of conflict
- Understand human reaction to conflict
- What causes emotions and how to they impact others?
- Your reactions to opinions, ideas and feedback of others
- The importance of reflection and contemplation for self-development
- Develop your Emotional Intelligence (EI) profile:
- Gain deeper understanding of the profile results and what they mean
- Understand ‘others’ and their reactions
- Learn to exercise personal flexibility and self-control
- Accept responsibility for your own emotions
Managing ourselves in conflict
- Explore techniques and ways to control our own emotions and behaviours
- Review various conflict negotiation styles
- Determine your own style
- Develop skills and techniques to influence others
- Consider an open mind to the opinions, ideas and feedback of others
Managing ‘different types’
- Understand different types of people and different types of conflict
- Conflict with your manager and higher levels
- Clarifying conversations
- Develop tools and strategies to manage others’ behaviour
- Move from weakness to strength in diverse situations
The mechanics of conflict
- Objectively distinguish both sides of every situation
- Separating your opponent(s) from the issues in hand
- Assertion skills
- Reviewing various conflict resolution options
Tools and techniques for resolution
- Effectively diffuse power plays
- Compromise skills that allow everyone to ‘save face’
- Maintaining focus through problem solving and clarification techniques
- How to negotiate through with superiors
- Learning and applying the skills of self-control
Assessing conflict and negotiations case studies
- Small group examination
- Large group discussion of the issues, the strategies, techniques and outcomes
- Role plays using ‘real’ situation to practice the skills and techniques
- Debrief experience to deepen learning and understanding
The Benefits of Conflict & Tension
- Improve your empathy and rapport. Conflict can expand your awareness of the situation providing an insight into how you can achieve your own goals without undermining others’ goals
- Increase team cohesion. It can help team members develop a stronger mutual respect and renewed faith in their ability to work together
- Improve self-knowledge. Conflict pushes you to examine your goals in close detail, helping you understand the things that are most important to you, sharpening your focus and enhancing your effectiveness
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.