Key Learning Objectives
- Understand core principles, features and critical success factors of various forms of contract delivery
- Examine various case studies in a number of delivery approaches and analyse benchmark practices that might evolve
- How to choose a contract delivery method and why
- Linking various contracting methods to business objectives
- Examine key risk management, structural, leadership accountability, insurance, liability, claims, cultural, relationship and performance management factors
- Understand key issues arising from changing contracting strategies
- Develop a plan to report possible options suitable for your organisation’s unique objectives
About the Course
This course has been designed to assist those involved with determining, managing and administering contracts of a substantial scale which contracting methodologies are best matched to achieving key strategic performance objectives.
The course is case study based, where the instructor will walk through intricate examples of a range of contract delivery approaches, why they have been chosen, and how they were structured and implemented. Challenges faced will be addressed and alternative approaches to resolving the challenges will be discussed.
The instructor will then provide perspectives on each methodology used by the case studies and help facilitate benchmarking exercises with your own organisational goals and objectives
Participants will receive a manual covering key aspects of various approaches to contract delivery, together with strategies for more relationship based approaches to contracts delivery.
The majority of the material for this course will be in the form of case studies to be addressed and discussed in session. The course is highly interactive in approach. Accordingly, participants will be encouraged to provide their own examples to generate valuable discussion, experiential learning and industry comparisons within the group.
Who Will Benefit
This course will benefit all those interested in learning more about what contracting strategies are available to optimise contract performance to achieve organisational strategic objectives.
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email email@example.com.
“This course brought together a lot of knowledge I had but now will give me the ability to act more confidently in my role in contracts.”
Contracts Specialist, Woodside
Our expert course trainer Sean McCarthy delivered an insightful webinar on “Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables”.
- Overcoming some of the common challenges associated with managing contracts
- How contracts act as tools for achieving set outcomes across deliverables or projects
- The importance of contract interpretation and building confidence in dealing with contracts
Relationship based contracting
- What is relationship based contracting?
- Overview of various forms – definition of types, and discussion of approaches, covering;
- Aligning with government
- How to make any contract delivery system relationship based
- Best/worst practice case studies of various approaches to contract delivery
- Why choose a relationship based contracting method over traditional means, and how to build the relationship factor into traditional approaches?
- Examining the benefits of to clients/ owners, contractors and consultants
Contracting strategy selection
- Defining the workscope (client/ owner) drivers and requirements
- Defining stakeholder drivers and requirements – balancing cost, risk and compensation
- Understanding the risk pricing variance between standard contracts and alliances
- Cultural, legal, insurance and liability considerations
- Choosing the optimal contracting strategy to deliver the outcomes required
- Engaging the key support team ( facilitators, legal, probity and regulatory)
Contracting approach selection process development
- Examining types of selection processes
- Choosing the optimal selection process
- Resources required during the selection process
- Role of senior executives and evaluation teams
Establishing the relationship
- Examining various commercial models
- Reviewing organisational structure (for projects) options
- Matching the contract model to business objectives
- Establishing and managing mutual expectations
- Selecting and structuring the relationship management team – who are the right and wrong partners?
Developing relationship systems, processes & performance management
- Leadership development to optimise team performance
- KPIs and objective linked incentives
- Risk management
- Project risk boundaries and managing change of scope
- Relationship management plans
Creating a model for sustained performance
- Examining and developing a model for achieving a successful contract relationship
- People – attaining a well structured project team and reporting lines
- Challenges and pitfalls with contract execution and how to overcome them
- Working with stakeholders, subcontractors and consultants
Addressing communication challenges
- The paradigm shift – key communication and negotiation principles to utilise for a successful alliance
- Communicating alliancing benefits of key differentiating factors such as;
- Risk pricing variance
- How scope changes are addressed
- Cost and non-cost remuneration
- Translating objectives to alliance partners
- Establishing clear lines of escalation
- Developing a win-win trust relationship with relationship partners
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.