Key Learning Objectives
- Compare your organisation’s contract management practices to a best practice checklist
- Benchmark investment to Australian and global investment norms
- Develop a contract management strategy and operational plan
- Obtain clear accountabilities within your organisation and with providers
- Assess the skills your organisation requires throughout the contract lifecycle
- Proactively manage issues and conduct reviews/audits
- Develop techniques to ensure solid commercial relationships
- Competently plan extensions, terminations, back-sourcing, and handovers to new providers
About the Course
All organisations today are heavy users of markets to obtain what they need. Moreover, in todays increasingly cost conscious and uncertain environment, effecting robust contracts and applying diligent governance is critical. Just signing a contract is rarely sufficient to ensure quality supply and value for money.
The increasing importance of contracting, and dependence on providers, means that the managing responsibility transcends the traditional, more administrative role. No longer are only contract specialists involved in the contract process – professionals of all disciplines have a vital role to play in the development of successful contracts and their ongoing management.
This course is designed to provide those responsible for one or more aspects of contract management with an in-depth understanding of the contracting process, how to effectively manage contracts, and how to derive the most value out of them.
The course demonstrates, and gives hands on experience, with the best practices that work – from the strategic planning, skills, and investment requirements of contract management to tactical governance and relationship management throughout the contract lifecycle. We examine superior and poor contracting practice and documents, formal and informal techniques, and work through contract management issues from womb to tomb.
- An executive report on contract management strategy (worth $150 USD)
- A governance charter template
- Articles only available in the US on bargaining power, lifecycle skills, relationship chemistry, and SWOTs
Who Will Benefit
This practical, advanced course will benefit all personnel involved with designing and preparing strategic contracts and contracting strategies in any industry sector
Job Titles Include (but not limited to)
- Contract managers, officers and administrators
- Project managements and procurement personnel involved in contract management
- Team leaders and other operational/technical staff with contract operations responsibilities
- Commercial and service delivery managers
- Consultants and advisors
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Sara is very practical, with challenging questions, enthusiasm and an engaging persona. It’s the best course I’ve done.”
Contract Advisor, Xstrata
“Lots of relevant information, good structure, templates and ideas.”
Chief Financial Officer, Macquarie Telecom
Our expert course trainer Sean McCarthy delivered an insightful webinar on “Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables”.
- Overcoming some of the common challenges associated with managing contracts
- How contracts act as tools for achieving set outcomes across deliverables or projects
- The importance of contract interpretation and building confidence in dealing with contracts
Setting up the contract management function
- Defining what is contract management
- Activities required for successful contract management
- Budgeting the investment
Practical exercises: Case study and self assessment
The contract management strategy
- The CM Network
- Strategic planning to execute rights you really want
Practical Exercise: Develop a rights plan
The contract lifecycle
- Phases and building blocks overview
- Appreciating the skills required
Understanding the role of contracts
- Defining what is a legal agreement
- The governing documents
- Key objectives of contracts
Assessing the state of your contract – examining good from bad
- The state of your specifications, SLAs and SoXs
- The type of pricing you have
- The state of your contract
Open forum on contract conditions
The Governance Charter – formal
- Defining roles and accountabilities in a contract governance framework
- Defining the role and process with meetings
- How to structure meetings
- Evaluations, reviews and audits
- Issue, dispute and variation management
Relationship management – informal
- Bi-party team ‘chemistry’
- Planning a successful relationship
Planning the end of a contract
- End of term options
Exercise: Contract management SWOT analysis
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.