Returning for 2022, the 14th Annual Obstetric Malpractice Conference will continue to explore the most thought-provoking topics and recent cases across the medico-legal obstetric landscape.
This is the premier event of its kind in the Asia-Pacific region and has been very well-received over the last decade.
Bringing together representation from the community of obstetricians and gynaecologists, midwives, neonatal staff, barristers, and legal professionals to review recent obstetric cases around the legal, ethical, and medical issues surrounding conception, pregnancy, and birth.
This annual event is a key event on the obstetric, midwifery, and legal calendar. Providing unique networking opportunities.
Topics to be addressed include:
- Physical birth Injuries
- Collaborative care models
- Medicolegal support for practicing Obstetricians
- Patient-measured outcomes
- Abortion Legislation an international comparison
- UK Ockenden Report
- Who is responsible in public obstetrics – GP, registrar, midwife, consultant?
- Consent to vaginal birth
- CTG interpretation
- Rural and remote maternity care
- Approach to the defendant
- Expert witnesses’ briefings and can we use them more effectively?
- Reasons behind settlement
- Determining which cases go to court
- “Indefensible cases”
- Legal issue or professional issue
- Exploring the defence side of the Medicolegal landscape
- Transvaginal Mesh Litigation
- Culturally consideration and overcoming barriers
- Emerging technology in Obstetrics
- Outlining opportunities for reform
Dr Tania Penovic
Senior Lecturer, Monash University, Research Program Group Leader, Gender and Sexuality, Castan Centre for Human Rights Law
Partner, Maliganis Edwards Johnson, Chair, Australasian Birth Trauma Association, Director, Physiotherapy Board of Australia, Director, Corryong Health
Director, Blumers Personal Injury Lawyers, Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Business, Government & Law, University of Canberra
Practice Leader, Class Actions, Shine Lawyers
Founder & Principal, Brave Legal
Lawyer, Brave Legal
Dr Vijay Roach
Immediate Past President, RANZCOG
Principal Solicitor, Remedy Law Group
CEO, Australasian Birth Trauma Association
Dr Debra O’Brien
Practitioner Member, Medical Board of Australia
Professor Jon Hyett
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Western Sydney University, Consultant in Obstetrics and Materno-Fetal Medicine, Liverpool Hospital, SWSLHD
Dr Danny Tucker
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, James Cook University, Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Townsville University Hospital
Professor Jozef Gecz
NH&MRC Senior Principal Research Fellow, Channel 7 CRF Honorary Chair for the Prevention of Childhood Disability, The University of Adelaide
Special Counsel, MinterEllison
Clinical Nurse Specialist, Midwife, and Maternal Health Researcher and Educator, Northern Territory Health
Associate, Slater & Gordon Lawyers
Partner – Health, Wotton & Kearney
A/Professor Lisa Hui
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Melbourne, Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist, Mercy Hospital for Women and The Northern Hospital, Team Leader, Reproductive Epidemiology Group, Murdoch Children's Research Institute
Project Lead – Maternity Projects-Harm Prevention Program, Victorian Managed Insurance Authority
Registered Midwife, Wollongong Hospital, Clinical Midwifery Consultant, Maternity Services NSW Health ISLHD and Co-Chair, ABTA's Clinical Advisory Committee
Andrea de Souza
Barrister, Victorian Bar
Associate, Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers
Health Box is a video-on-demand service providing a deeper dive on key topics, themes and questions relating to health and life sciences events in Australia and APAC. Visit our website here.
Health Box boasts a rich mix of free content for you to “snack on” at your own leisure including:
- Speaker interviews
- Executive briefings – short messages from organisation CEOs or senior management
- Fast Chats – an interview style short video (5-10minutes) from an expert thought leader in your organization to provide solutions to challenges, announce new products, make a company announcement and many more.
- Explainer videos – a short custom video providing targeted content as a potential elevator pitch, educating buyers about a specific issue or product feature.
- Expert panels
- LinkedIn Recommended Ads – get your brand Infront of our market leading LinkedIn Groups.
We know you can’t always attend all our events, but we also know you like to get a feel for some of the key topics, themes and messages from events. Health Box offers a taste of what is on offer at our flagship conferences so you can make an informed choice on joining our events.
Each Health Box episode is different and each month we release a new episodes on different topics.
Have a message, project or idea to share? Connect with us ahead of our upcoming episodes to learn how you can get involved or we can work with you to create a new episode. Let us take care of you!
For more information on how your company can get involved in a Health Box episode, contact
Senior Business Development Manager
+61 2 9080 4432
Our Commitment to Sustainability
In Australia, we are committed to running our events in an environmentally and socially responsible way. Across Informa Connect we are focusing on the short and long-term sustainability impacts we have on customers and colleagues alongside the communities we work in.
We recognise that it’s not just about the way we produce our events and products but recognising that we have a role to play in providing a space to work in partnership together with our markets to inspire the sustainable development of the industries we serve.
To read more on our latest sustainability reports and Faster Forward initiatives – click here.