The 31st Annual Medico Legal Congress will be returning to the Swissotel, Sydney in March 2022. We are also offering the option to attend the event virtually.
Join us at Australia’s premiere medico legal event and a highlight on the calendar of the nation’s medico legal professionals. The congress features a highly credentialed speaker faculty addressing complex and thought-provoking medico legal issues, reviewing recent cases, and discussing the future of healthcare and hospitals – from GPs to surgery in a post COVID world.
Topics to be addressed include:
- The liability around contracting COVID-19 as a Health Practitioner, who is responsible?
- Decision making frameworks and determining capacity
- Has the COVID-19 era, seen an increase in ‘medical negligence’ as a consequence of a reliance on telehealth?
- The key to medico legal case is being a good expert witness
- Dental & body modification consent issues including “informed consent” vs failure to warn
- Johnson & Johnson vaginal mesh litigation: what you thought you knew
- Voluntary Assisted Dying: Addressing the 3 new Bills
- NDIS – Recent Cases and Trends
- Ethical dilemmas in emergency treating patients with specific cultural considerations
- Addressing good medical practice: sexual misconduct within the clinical setting
- The Australian Covid 19 compensation scheme
- Medical negligence and the Pandemic
- Affirmative Management of Gender Dysphoria
- Police detain and transport powers under Australian mental health acts – community safety or violation of rights?
- Rural vs City medicine in Antenatal and Obstetric care
Special Counsel, Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers
A/Prof Tina Cockburn
Co-Director, Australian Centre for Health Law Research, Faculty of Law, Queensland University of Technology
Principal Lawyer, Margalit Lawyers
Partner, Mills Oakley
Dr Vijay Roach
Chair Council, Presidents of Medical Colleges (CPMC), Chair, Migrant and Refugee Health Partnership, Immediate Past President, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG)
Founder and Principal, Polaris Lawyers
Professor Ben White
Professor of End-of-Life Law and Regulation, Australian Centre for Health Law Research, Queensland University of Technology
Practice Leader Class Actions, Shine Lawyers
Associate, Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers
A/Professor Marie Bismark
Associate Professor of Law and Public Health (Centre for Health Policy), University of Melbourne
Dr Anne Tonkin
Chair, Medical Board of Australia
Principal Lawyer, Maurice Blackburn Lawyers
Dr Ian Freckelton AO QC
Co-Director of Studies, Health and Medical Law, University of Melbourne, Professorial Fellow, Victorian Bar
Founder, Brave Legal
Health & Safety
Informa Australia’s events will be organised in accordance with Informa’s AllSecure health and safety standard. As the world’s leading events’ organiser, Informa has developed a detailed set of enhanced measures to provide the highest level of hygiene and safety at its events, providing everyone with reassurance and confidence they are participating in a safe and controlled environment.
Placing your safety at the heart of our events
When you join our event, you can expect to see that health and safety is a priority, and that a range of measures are in place to ensure everyone involved is able to enjoy a safe, hygienic, productive and high-quality organised event experience.
All Informa events will be run according to official government and local authority guidance in the first instance, as well as any venue or location-specific regulations. In addition, Informa Australia will follow ten Informa AllSecure priority commitments.
For more information about Informa Australia’s AllSecure Key Commitments and further details, please visit:
Our Commitment to Sustainability
Our purposeful and informed content incorporates commitments for sustainability within our events. In Australia, we are committed to running our events in an environmentally and socially responsible way. We also want to go further and inspire sustainable development for the industries we serve. Bringing together diverse eco-systems providing a platform for decision makers, industry leaders and entrepreneurs to implement widespread change.
Moving Faster Forward with Informa Connect
Across Informa Connect we are focusing on the short and long-term sustainability impacts we have on customers and colleagues alongside the communities we work in.
We recognise that it’s not just about the way we produce our events and products but recognising that we have a role to play in providing a space to work in partnership together with our markets to inspire the sustainable development of the industries we serve. Explore our work, including our latest sustainability reports and Faster Forward initiatives with the link below.