Key Learning Objectives
- Appreciate why the scope is the most important part of the contract
- Gain practical experience writing each part of a scope through worked examples – paying close attention to appropriate structure, clear responsibilities and the right language.
- Learn how to write up KPIs that will work in practice
- Explore the financial and non-financial means to drive KPIs
- Identify how to critique any SOW and KPI, and fix it
- Critique and improve one of your own scopes and KPIs throughout the course
- Have your scope and KPIs reviewed for good practice and obtain feedback
About the Course
The scope is one of, if not, the most important documents to form and manage contracts. If it is vague, difficult to use, or overly complex (or overly simplistic), its value is severely compromised – for both parties to a contract.
This course takes you through the high-level issues and solutions down to the detailed ones. First, we examine a dispute to assess the role of the scope and KPIs in allowing two parties to form two completely different views.
We then dedicate a significant portion the course to writing a scope, and related KPIs, that are clear and dispute-proof. We pay close attention to ensuring appropriate structure, clear responsibilities, and the right language. The financial and non-financial means to drive good performance are explored in detail.
Throughout the two days, there are numerous examples of good and bad practice that we compare. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to pass or fail scopes and KPIs in seconds.
Note: You must bring in a scope and KPI that you have written, need to review, or need to manage. We exchange these in the class and analyse them so that you have a much-improved one for the future.
Who Will Benefit
An elective in our contract management CMP series, this practical course is designed to benefit professionals who are responsible for developing or reviewing scopes, SoWs, specifications, and SLAs along with the related performance measures.
Subject matter experts, such as Engineers and technical people, and category managers/specialists will particularly benefit from this program. It has also been popular with members of the legal fraternity who are expanding their contribution beyond the contract terms and conditions.
Live Online Training
Learn Anywhere, Learn Anytime
Catering to meet all your learning needs:
- Get high quality practical training from our expert instructors
- From Face To Face, Online and Blended Learning, get a superior solution for your learning needs
- Learn live online in an interactive environment
- Invest in yourself. Invest in your team.
Register today for our Live Online Training courses and fi nd out how they can help you transform the way you work. Contact one of our training consultants on email@example.com to find out more.
The CMP Certification Framework
The CMP provides a robust method of up-skilling and recognising an individual’s expertise and experience in contract management and procurement. Our combination of in-class teaching, facilitation, knowledge based testing and workplace evidence based examinations has been carefully crafted to not only teach knowledge and skills, but to also demonstrate how individuals can apply their knowledge to work based situations. This Certification is recognised by IIBT and World Commerce & Contracting.
Informa Corporate Learning is a Learning Partner of the World Commerce & Contracting which is a not for profit association and the only global body promoting standards and raising capabilities in commercial practice.
The International Institute of Business & Technology Aust (IIBT) is a highly respected, Government approved, Australian provider of higher education and VET programs. Their suite of programs includes a University level Diploma of Business Administration, equivalent to the first year of a business related undergraduate degree at Australian Universities.
THE IIBT / INFORMA CORPORATE LEARNING ALLIANCE
IIBT and Informa Corporate Learning joined together to provide a pathway for those who complete Informa’s CMP at the Master level. All CMP Masters will receive Recognised Prior Learning (RPL): 2 units of credit in the 12 month, Higher Education, University level Diploma of Business Administration.
- Business Law (BL101)
- Management in Organisations (MGT101)
*This is a Higher Education Diploma equivalent to first year university NOT a Vocational Education Diploma.
Click here for more information.
“The group discussions were relevant and very interesting. Appreciate the extra reading material -was very valuable. I now have the confidence to ask the relevant questions.”
Principal Procurement Officer, Public Safety Business Agency
“Very interesting insights. Fantastic presentation. Great practical commercially focused course.”
Legal, Monash University
“Trainer was very engaging, informative and friendly. She made us feel comfortable to ask questions.”
Category Analyst, Work Safe
“Excellent understanding of content and very engaging.”
Senior Consultant, Downer
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Review A Scope/SoW In Seconds
Understand the basic issues with practical applications and case study examples related to your scopes & KPIs.
Why Re-Tenders Are A Completely Different Ball Game & How To Win At This Game
Dr Sara Cullen, our expert course instructor, contracts expert and world-renowned author sheds light on competitive tender processes and how to effectively implement them through her vast experience in the field with this Live Webinar.
Understanding the importance of the scope
- Statistics from the field
- The specification’s role in the contract
- Understanding the lifecycle and bargaining power –shortcuts are playing with fire
- You decide this dispute (about a scope and the KPIs)
Drafting the scope
- The importance of words – why they matter, getting rid of ‘weasel words’ / ambiguity
- Responsibility Matrix – know who is to do what
- Glossary (reserved words / defined terms)
- Scope writing – avoid misinterpretations and make it easy to use
- Warm up – a bit of practice
- Banned words and a word hunt
- Responsibility table – case work
- Glossary definitions – case work
- Detailed work specifications – case work
Performance specifications (KPIS)
- Brief overview of the Contract Scorecard – a holistic view of performance
- Performance measures – how you will measure success and failure
- Recourse / reward schemes – what you will do about good / bad KPI performance
- Assess a KPI – case work
- Prepare good KPIs – case work
- KPI recourse / reward schemes you’ve seen
- Prepare a KPI scheme that will work – case work
Apply what you’ve learnt – assess each other’s specifications
- Apply what you’ve learnt – assess each other’s scope s and KPIs (note: bring one of yours in). Does it pass good practice?
Wrap up and evaluation
when & where
09 - 12 Aug 2022
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.