Key Learning Objectives
- Take a strategic approach to tendering
- Build and manage your bargaining power to solicit better bids
- Implement the optimal team
- Plan the tender stages from ROI to BAFO and everything in between
- Prepare an effective request (RFx) and facilitate the best responses
- Devise the right evaluation criteria
- Conduct the evaluation in the most efficient and effective manner
- Understand the due diligence options to ensure the deal will work
- Effectively debrief the unsuccessful bidders
About the Course
The vast majority of organisations tender out some aspect of their work, be it maintenance, logistics, production services, IT, business processes or corporate services.
Choosing which providers your organisation will depend upon for many years is a critical activity. Vigilant selection delivers the best match – if your organisation truly knows itself and what it wants. The offers received reflect the quality and clarity of information you provide – in other words ‘garbage in – garbage out.
Successful tendering is not an auction – it is about getting the lowest price with a superior supplier under a fair contract with sustainable solutions. This hands-on course will deliver the key techniques for successful product and service procurement and tendering designed to assist you to determine the most effective techniques for your organisation.
The training is presented by Dr. Sara Cullen, a globally recognised expert in tendering and contracting. She has taken the practical experiences of over 140 organisations, and two decades of practice, to develop this course that will enable you to:
- pick the right supplier(s),
- for the right reasons, and
- get the right deal.
Who Will Benefit
This practical, intermediate course is designed for professionals who are responsible for tendering specification, process or evaluation, procurement, contracts, purchasing and supply, service level agreements and strategic alliances/partnerships/joint ventures.
Job Titles Include (but not limited to)
- Strategic sourcing, procurement, and category managers
- Contract developers, administrators, officers, and managers
- Commercial managers, operations managers, team leaders
- Account managers, business development managers and pre-sales
- Consultants and advisors
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Highlighted that although I’ve been a procurement officer for a number of years, in so many ways my experience has been limited”
Manager, Contracts & Tendering, Dept of Treasury
“Lots of tools I can take back to my colleagues.”
Contracts Engineer, ConocoPhillips
Our expert course trainer Sean McCarthy delivered an insightful webinar on “Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables”.
- Overcoming some of the common challenges associated with managing contracts
- How contracts act as tools for achieving set outcomes across deliverables or projects
- The importance of contract interpretation and building confidence in dealing with contracts
Strategically planning the lifecycle
- Identifying your requirements for engaging industry
- Building and managing bargaining power – after the tender your bargaining power falls, so the key is to ensure it has been maximised beforehand
- Exercise: Choose your path
Tender planning skills development
- The breadth of skills required for a successful tender exercise
- Targeting the skills you need
- Exercise: Skills planner in selecting your team
- How providers are structured and operate
- Identifying markets
- Avoiding the Winner’s Curse
Targeting & profiling the services required
- Service profile
- Cost profile
- Asset profile
- Workforce profile
- Stakeholder profile
- Governance profile
- Commercial relationships profile
- Exercise: Determine the profiles you will need
Planning the tender before going to market
- Outlining the 5 different stages
- When to use the various stages
- Exercise: Select your stages
Drafting the tender document or ‘market package’
- Format and contents
- Conditions of tendering, rights and obligations
Developing evaluation criteria
- Examining mandatory, qualitative and quantitative forms of criteria
- Determining and weighting the optimal criteria
- Writing accurate questions that get accurate answers based on the right criteria
- Exercise: Determine and weigh criteria, develop questions for a criterion
Attracting & facilitating the best responses
- Attracting enthusiasm and the best efforts from the market
- Managing briefings, data rooms, questions, answers and site visits
- Exercise: Determine your best responses approach
Tender evaluation methodologies
- Comparing the bids and developing scoring techniques
- Evaluating Statements of Departures
- Applying interactive evaluation techniques such as interviews and site visits
- Value for money selection and understanding how lowest price may come at the highest cost
- Completing the contract – farming the bids
- Exercise: Act as the vendor in responding to a set of questions, evaluate the vendor’s response
Applying due dilligence to ensure the viability of the supplier, the bid & the contract
- Proposed solution(s)
- Contract compliance
- Customer references
- Exercise: Determine what due diligence you will need to perform
- Informing the winner and losers
- Why debriefing is useful, but also dangerous
- Exercise: Run a debriefing session
- Putting it all together into a procurement plan
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.