Key Learning Objectives
- Appreciate that the value chain of any enterprise relies on the contribution of the people organisation
- Clarify the definition of people productivity and human reliability
- Apply a business process approach as a foundation to define roles and responsibilities and ultimately, effective organisational structures and a mentally healthy work force
- Relate to the basics of maintenance roles and responsibilities
- Apply and practice the application of effective tools to manage roles and responsibilities
- Facilitate and control the on-boarding and development processes to ‘commission’ individuals and teams into their roles
- Gain tips, tools and tricks in understanding the art of training and coaching
- The hard and soft side of role enabling and people management
- Apply continual improvement processes in context, monitoring and improving performance
- Experience several case studies on the effectiveness of applying these practices and the achieved outcomes
About the Course
How do we manage change to personnel as effectively as we do to change to hardware?
High performing teams do not happen by coincidence. It is a designed outcome where the performance expectations are clearly defined, understood and facilitated based on a structured and engaging management framework.
The foundation required to support role and team enabling is provided through the application of a combination of structured coaching methodologies and a documented framework. This outcome relies on an increased level of maturity in managing people in a tough environment with high turnover and high cost of experienced personnel.
Not ignoring the crucial and basic people aspects of the enabling process, much of the issues typically experienced in organisations can be resolved by managing the basics well. This seems obvious but it has been shown that for many reasons, this goal is often not attained. Ironically, sometimes as result of focusing too much on the soft side of managing this process.
This course provides the practical mechanisms and tools to support effective on-boarding, with coaching practices at the centre. Many case studies are presented on the effectiveness of applying these practices and the achieved outcomes. Exercises are facilitated to demonstrate tools and applications and to familiarise participants with the various processes and activities.
Process, methodology and tool information (e.g. Role Profiles, Role Activity Schedules, Coaching Templates, etc.) will be provided electronically to assist participants with improving team productivity through effective coaching and training.
Who Will Benefit
The course is ideally suited to assist the following maintenance and business improvement leader roles to re-assess their people management approaches in pursuit of productivity and a mentally healthy workforce:
- Maintenance Managers, Superintendents and Supervisors
- Team Leaders, Reliability Engineers, Planners and Coordinators
- Trainers, Coaches and Mentors
- Business Improvement Leaders and Facilitators
- Business Process Engineers and Analysts
A CPD Course
For those who have a professional status and require Continuing Professional Development (CPD) to retain your status, you can use this course to fulfil the educational requirements. Contact your association to learn how.
“This coaching is exactly where we should start to improve our performance, it immediately highlighted the gaps we have to support improvement and triggered an amazing positive response”
Planning Superintendent, Anglo Gold Ashanti
“There is no substitute for this level of practical coaching to improve our analysis capabilities and to drive out un-reliability issues”
Reliability Superintendent, BHP
INTRODUCTION TO THE BUSINESS VALUE CHAIN IN MAINTENANCE ORGANISATIONS
- People contribution to the business value chain
- Maintenance and the Maintenance Organisation
- Value Chain for Maintenance
Origin of non-productivity
BUSINESS PROCESS MANAGEMENT AND ITS APPLICATIONS
- Review basic Maintenance Management Processes
- Extracting value from Business Processes
- Role Activity Schedules and Roles and Responsibility Definitions
- Competency and Training/coaching alignment
Introduction to Business Process Management
ON-BOARDING TO FULLY OPERATIONAL
- First day impressions
- On-boarding process, methodologies and tools
- Coach the Coach and Train the Trainer
- Enabling the individual and building the team
ROLE COACHING AND TRAINING
- Prepare to coach and coach to prepare
- Role coaching elements – mechanisms and structures for success
- Role Activity Schedules application in coaching
Coach a role
THE HARD AND SOFT SIDES OF PEOPLE PRODUCTIVITY MANAGEMENT
- Follow up on expectations
- High Performance Teams
- Leadership, communication and span of control
- Reducing variability and improving continuity
- Learning Management System and Framework
The Content & Compliance to Performance Model
FACILITATE THE PROCESS FOR PERFORMANCE AND PRODUCTIVITY
- Measure and monitor productivity
EXERCISE, DEMONSTRATION AND EXAMPLES
- Visual management of workflow
- Work Instructions and Quick Reference Guides
- Information Centre applications for performance
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.