Key Learning Objectives
- Learn how to identify your own leadership style
- Increase your capacity to influence others
- Achieve an assertive response style without seeming to be aggressive
- Create an image of authority
- Discover how to direct your own career path
- Improve your chances of being selected for promotion
- Understand the styles of male leadership
- Advance your negotiation skills to achieve greater success
About the Course
In a fast paced and changing environment, the focus is increasingly on the need for effective leadership, not just good management.
Women aspiring to leadership positions face particular challenges. They often encounter far more rigorous tests to determine their suitability for promotion and must be active in seeking selection for leadership positions.
To create your own opportunities, it is vital that you identify and acquire the characteristics and competencies of an effective leader and integrate these into your personal leadership style.
Through interactive exercises and group discussions, you will gain powerful communication, negotiation and influencing skills which will help you succeed in male oriented working environments.
You will learn how to achieve an assertive, but not aggressive, response style and create and sustain an image of authority. You will also acquire valuable techniques to help you lead, empower and motivate your staff to excel.
Who Will Benefit
This course provides an unparalleled opportunity for women to develop practical leadership skills, as well as to benefit from the breadth of knowledge and experience of their peers within a range of commercial and public organisations.
The course is relevant for new and emerging leaders to give them the tools, perspectives and insights into navigating as a manager and leader in the public sector. It is also a good refresher for managers/ leaders who would benefit from stepping back and reflecting on their role, and how they can further improve their performance and job satisfaction
Career strategies – managing the predictable, the unexpected & the potential
- Taking charge of your future
- Devising your own career action plan
- Overcoming fears of inadequacy
- Managing your potential within an organisation
Selling your strengths – marketing your potential as a leader
- Deciphering whether tertiary education raises your image and leadership potential
- Promoting yourself to your organisation
- Learning which of your techniques or qualities leads to positive responses
- Identifying the difference between leadership and management
Understanding what will make you an effective leader
- Identifying your own leadership style
- Identifying your leadership strengths and weaknesses
- Discovering what is the gap between your current style and what you want it to be
Achieving an assertive response style
- Identifying your own response style
- Overcoming a passive style and commanding respect
- Understanding the difference between aggressive and assertive styles
- Developing strategies to handle aggressive or passive responses from others
Advanced negotiation skills for female leaders
- Understanding your own conflict resolution style
- Analysing the work environment and stakeholders in the process
- Mapping the negotiation
- Advancing your negotiation skills
- Engendering co-operation while building professionalism
Understanding the male leadership style
- Understanding how men in leadership positions see the world
- Differences in communication styles between male and female leaders
- Strength and camaraderie deriving from the ‘old boys club’ – must you join?
- Gaining the confidence of male senior management
Techniques to enhance your leadership capabilities
- Effectively leading high performance groups and teams
- The leadership functions of cohesion and progress: keeping groups stable
- Recognising group processes and leading them constructively
- Systematic thinking in dealing with groups
Empowering employees to achieve personal & organisational goals
- Thinking ahead and planning which work you choose to delegate and to whom
- How to communicate your decisions with confidence and clarity
- Increasing your confidence that the job will be done if you don’t do it
- Creating a team working environment which acts in the best interests of the organisation
Coaching & mentoring skills for leaders
- Understanding the coaching and mentoring roles in the workplace
- Implementing mentoring systems – formal and informal, long and short-term
- Managing to complete your own workload while mentoring others
- Causes of potential failure in mentor relationships and how to avoid them
A guide to effective networking
- Networked mentoring: the advantages
- Types of networking: in and outside the workplace
- Accomplishing goals through networking
Creating & achieving an image of authority
- Identifying the components of a successful leader
- Overcoming the fear of leadership
- Developing skills to enable you to become authoritative
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.