Key Learning Objectives
- Identify a manager’s unique responsibilities and qualities
- Appreciate the changes in your style needed to inspire and influence others
- Learn to set tangible, accountable and manageable expectations with your manager and team
- Understand the difference between leadership and management
- Appreciate the importance of EQ vs IQ in becoming an effective people manager
- Mastermind your transition; build new relationships, managing vs doing and ‘managing upwards’
- Recognise and adopt motivational and influential communication styles
- Discover how to manage difficult conversations
- Acquire the necessary skills to manage staff performance, coach and develop
- Develop skills in delegating, prioritisation, problem solving and able decision making
About the Course
This intensive program is designed to provide individuals with the skills and techniques necessary in their transition to a management role.
The adjustment from being managed to ‘being the manager’ is the biggest challenge in today’s demanding business environment. With the diverse mix of generations in the workforce, the ability to bring people together, maintain motivation, address performance and deliver results is a challenge that cannot be underestimated.
Learn how to create, empower and lead a cohesive team to achieve results through delegation, coaching, effective prioritisation and able decision-making.
You’ll learn how best to approach each individual in your team – and how to juggle the multiple demands on you as a manager, whilst maintaining the focus on the efforts of both you and your team.
Develop a greater level of personal effectiveness in the performance of your management role through a better understanding of your personal communication style and how to influence others to achieve desired outcomes.
Become more confident in confronting difficult people and situations and learn to resolve problems quickly whilst building sustainable and beneficial relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
Armed with a portfolio of management techniques, you will return to your workplace well-equipped to build on your strengths as a manager, and to identify areas where you can improve both your efficiency and your working relationships.
Who Will Benefit
This program has been developed specifically for those managing the transition into their first management role and overseeing work done by others to achieve organisational goals.
It will be of particular value to newly appointed managers, supervisors, team leaders and project managers who wish to strengthen their management skills.
Take your learning and development further and experience transformational impact on your career progression. Our Executive Coaching and Mentoring programme offers you additional value and benefits to reinforce key learning outcomes obtained on an Informa course. Package your learning to incorporate additional 1-on-1 executive coaching with our expert Instructor.
To learn more or to include Executive Coaching and Mentoring as part of your registration for this course, please contact one of our Training Consultants on +61 (2) 9080 4395 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or refer to the registration page when booking online.
Live Online Training
Learn Anywhere, Learn Anytime
Catering to meet all your learning needs:
- Get high quality practical training from our expert instructors
- From Face To Face, Online and Blended Learning, get a superior solution for your learning needs
- Learn live online in an interactive environment
- Invest in yourself. Invest in your team.
Register today for our Live Online Training courses and fi nd out how they can help you transform the way you work. Contact one of our training consultants on email@example.com to find out more.
“Andrew engaged with us all in an excellent manner. His delivery of the course content was made easy to understand. Huge thumbs up. Excellent course!”
Manager, Spinks Group
“Relaxed atmosphere created by instructor made me comfortable to ask the “silly” questions and therefore get the most out of the course.”
Environment Advisor, QLD Rail
“Great use of two days, it opened my eyes and helped me think differently.”
State Manager, Spendless Shoes
“I was impressed with this course and its ability to motivate me to think about other people in a manner I have not done previously.”
Plant Manager, Austral Bricks
“Excellent, engaging and fun experience.”
Director Safety, Network Rail Consulting
Influencing with Questions
Getting people to buy-in to change, change old habits or reflect on deeply held assumptions is a core leadership capability. You’ve probably noticed that simply telling people what to do or showing lots of relevant data on Powerpoint slides rarely sways people – at best getting reluctant compliance.
In this webinar, Andrew Lee will show you some practical tools that will have an immediate effect.
The role of a manager
- Identify the attributes of a competent manager
- Define the expectations of your role from your peers, subordinates and seniors
- Opportunities and limitations – where does my role stop and my manager’s start?
- What needs to change
- Effective delegation
- Typical challenges and anxieties during early stages of transition
- Your learning curve
- Building and managing new relationships
- Defining my role as manager, identifying differences in past and present expectations.
- Develop your personal delegation plan
Building a supportive, productive team
- Attributes and components of a successful team
- Matching organisational needs with skill sets
- Understanding behavioural characteristics of personality types
- Team dynamics
- Analysis of team models, assess your current team strengths and weaknesses, group review of case scenarios
Managing & motivating the team
- Establishing boundaries and expectations
- Maintaining motivation of individuals within your team
- Creating a cohesive team culture
- Managing team performance
- Learning to address ‘change fatigue’
- Managing vs Doing – art of delegation – getting things done through others
- Develop workable group and individual strategies to maintain motivation across diverse teams to build a strong performance culture.
Retaining & developing people
- Foster accountability and empower your team
- Mentoring or coaching – what do your team members need?
- Understanding different adult learning styles
- One size doesn’t fit all – formulate learning and development pathways
- Managing diversity within the team
- Manage diversity across the generations, develop pathways for the team
Effective communication and communicating ‘change’ with your team
- Listening and questioning skills
- Developing an assertive and influential communication style
- The principles of effective negotiation
- Communicating with 2 way feedback
- Communicating change with your team
- Domino questioning principles, exercise in communicating feedback
Competent problem solving & decision making
- Develop confidence with crucial confrontations and conversations
- Adopting a problem solving approach
- Making decisions and managing consequences
- Managing politics
- Handling grievances
- Doing the ‘tough’ stuff – taking action and making difficult decisions
- Conducting disciplinary proceedings
- Case scenarios and group role plays, identify difficult situations in the workplace and development of action plans
Mastering workflow & productivity
- Task organisation and execution
- Managing your workflow and productivity
- Prioritisation methods
- Managing other people’s priorities
- Personal habits that hinder
- Prioritisation exercise, self audit of personal effectiveness
Action orientated meetings that actually deliver results
- The real role of a Chair
- Using an agenda
- Positive and objective participation
Personal action plan
- Conduct self analysis based on learnings
- Devise a personal action plan to start making real and implementable changes to make a difference
when & where
01 Nov 2021
02 Dec 2021
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.