Key Learning Objectives
- Determine the development of directional drilling including the methods and equipment used
- Understand why geology matters and the impacts on drilling
- Examine key components ofreal time decision making in directional drilling
- Discover how to implement managed pressure drilling and troubleshoot reservoir issues
- Gain a working knowledge of production, water management and well servicing
- Analyse case studies of good and bad drilling projects
About the Course
The course will provide participants with a frontline view of the benefits and nuances associated with directional drilling, which is emerging as the production technique of choice for low permeability and geographically constrained CSG reservoirs.
A key outcome will be an understanding of when to apply directional drilling and how to avoid potential operational pitfalls.
The course will draw heavily on practical field based examples and be strongly interactive, seeking to achieve a balance between instruction and the engagement of participants.
The course will answer the question – is directional drilling appropriate for your reservoir?
You will gain from the collective practical experience of an existing directional drilling practitioner, and a geologist and reservoir analyst. The melding of practical and theoretical approaches to directional drilling should result in a rewarding learning experience for participants
Who Will Benefit
Course Level: Intermediate/Advanced
Recommended Course Pre-requisite:
CSG Fundamentals & CSG Production & Completions
- Petroleum engineers and geologists who wish to gain a greater insight into drilling
- CSM managers who wish to understand the complexities of drilling, and how they can alter a project’s success
- Drilling managers wishing to improve their understanding and application of directional drilling
- Potential investors in CSM projects
- Anyone wishing to improve their basic understanding of CSM
A CPD Course
Use this course to help fulfil your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) educational requirements to retain your professional/chartered status. Contact your relevant association to learn how.
“Covered all aspects of drilling engineering and unbiased views of the CSG industry”
Graduate Well Engineer, Arrow Energy
“Scott has a great deal of knowledge about the subject and industry and has a way with explaining things and taking us through the course”
Technical Safety Advisor, QGC
Directional drilling fundamentals
- Why choose directional drilling?
- Comparing and contrasting directional drilling to other drilling methods
- History of the development of directional drilling
- Review of directional drilling equipment
- Underground based directional drilling: ‘Inseam drilling’
- Surface based directional drilling: ‘Surface to In-Seam (SIS)’
Geology, directional drilling and other drilling methods
- Coal seam geology fundamentals – why geology matters
- Geological issues – the positive and negative impacts on directional drilling
- Directional drilling as an exploration tool
Other drilling methods used in CSG exploration
- Geological information from directional and other drilling methods – limitations and uses
Making directional drilling work: the key components
- Planning the hole
- Rig selection and set-up
- Rig monitoring systems
- Down hole equipment selection
- Steering and surveying
- Real time decision making using down hole information
- Identifying down hole risks
- Management of down hole risks
Managed Pressure Drilling (MPD)
- Underbalanced and overbalanced drilling – uses and implications
- The benefits of MPD
- When and how to implement MPD
- Reservoir management issues
Production from directional drilling
- Gas production equipment configuration
- Liners and hole integrity
- Well servicing considerations
- Water management
Analyse the good, the bad and the ugly – and learn from them
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.