A Complete Guide to the Principles of Contract Management.
Key Learning Objectives
- Clarify the roles of the contract manager and contract administrator
- Understand key aspects of contracts: as a contract manager how to read, interpret and evaluate them
- Examine fundamental facets of contract administration and claims processes
- Appreciate the contractual issues surrounding variations, delays and defects; and develop procedures to effectively deal with these issues
- Ensure both contract administration and project management endeavours emphasise contract compliance throughout the delivery process
- Analyse key principles of effective document control, reporting and communication systems
- Discover cooperative negotiation and partnering skills for dispute avoidance and resolution
About the Course
This is the first course in our Contract Management Professional (CMP) certification program.
Contract administration is a broad term used to describe management of the parties’ responsibilities in delivering contracts. At the core of each responsibility is the contract.
This course briefly reviews the formation and interpretation of contracts as the rules of engagement between parties embarking on a project. It then looks and the processes of administration and management of the contract throughout the course of a project.
Furthermore, the course will provide the knowledge for developing practical procedures to deliver a streamlined contract administration process.
Participants will also review the crucial interface between the contract administrator’s role and responsibilities, and that of the project manager project management functions.
Finally as claims processes are fundamental concepts in contract administration, the course examines the most common claims, with an emphasis on claims for variations and delays. The approach to dealing with delivery defects is also addressed.
Teaching methods will include interpretation of examples provided.
Who Will Benefit
This practical introductory course is relevant for those involved with any aspect of the management or administration of contracts, including developing or evaluating contracts, and performing day-to-day contract administration, or interacting directly with those who do – in any industry sector.
Live Online Training
Learn Anywhere, Learn Anytime
Catering to meet all your learning needs:
- Get high quality practical training from our expert instructors
- From Face To Face, Online and Blended Learning, get a superior solution for your learning needs
- Learn live online in an interactive environment
- Invest in yourself. Invest in your team.
Register today for our Live Online Training courses and fi nd out how they can help you transform the way you work. Contact one of our training consultants on email@example.com to find out more.
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CMP Certification Framework
The CMP provides a robust method of up-skilling and recognising an individual’s expertise and experience in contract management and procurement. Our combination of in-class teaching, facilitation, knowledge based testing and workplace evidence based examinations has been carefully crafted to not only teach knowledge and skills, but to also demonstrate how individuals can apply their knowledge to work based situations. This Certification is recognised by IIBT and IACCM.
Informa Corporate Learning is a Learning Partner of the International Association for Contract and Commercial Management (IACCM), which promotes the international standards and practices for defining and managing trading relationships.
The International Institute of Business & Technology Aust (IIBT) is a highly respected, Government approved, Australian provider of higher education and VET programs. Their suite of programs includes a University level Diploma of Business Administration, equivalent to the first year of a business related undergraduate degree at Australian Universities.
THE IIBT / INFORMA CORPORATE LEARNING ALLIANCE
IIBT and Informa Corporate Learning joined together to provide a pathway for those who complete Informa’s CMP at the Master level. All CMP Masters will receive Recognised Prior Learning (RPL): 2 units of credit in the 12 month, Higher Education, University level Diploma of Business Administration.
- Business Law (BL101)
- Management in Organisations (MGT101)
*This is a Higher Education Diploma equivalent to first year university NOT a Vocational Education Diploma.
Click here for more information.
“Margaret’s inclusiveness and friendliness contributed to the learning experience. Her knowledge on the subject was great.”
Project Support Officer, Queensland Health
“Very enjoyable course. Was interesting and useful throughout. Time went quickly and learnt a lot. Liked the approach encouraging a lot of discussion and real examples from the group as well as real examples from Sean’s own workplace.”
Contract Analyst, SA Water
Our expert course trainer Sean McCarthy delivered an insightful webinar on “Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables”.
- Overcoming some of the common challenges associated with managing contracts
- How contracts act as tools for achieving set outcomes across deliverables or projects
- The importance of contract interpretation and building confidence in dealing with contracts
UNDERSTANDING CONTRACT MANAGEMENT
- Contract management principles
- Pre-award, award and post-award considerations of contract management from both buyers’ and sellers’ perspectives
- Detailing the role of the contract manager
- Understanding where contract management fits with the broader organisational goals
- Strategic considerations behind contract management
THE CONTRACT – A MANAGEMENT PERSPECTIVE
- Understanding quoting and tendering to ensure proper process is maintained
- Pre-contractual negotiations – How to use them to ensure your desired risk transfer is achieved
- Contract formation – Various approaches and what to be careful of
- Documentation – Understanding the purpose and importance of various documents that make up a typical set of contract documents
- Contractual interpretation – How to use it to inform sensible contract management decisions
CONTRACT PLANNING AND RISK MANAGEMENT
- Developing the overall management plan for the contract
- Aligning contract planning with established organisational systems
- Evaluating risks
- Using contracts as effective risk management tools and developing strategies for mitigating risk that arise from contracts
- Making the contract effective in practice
THE CLAIMS PROCESS – THEORY AND PRACTICE
- Overview of the claims process
- Key points in formulating claims
- Key considerations in valuing claims
- The contract administrator’s relationships and responsibilities, and those of the project manager
- The administrators role and limits of authority
- Examining other roles in the contract management network and their associated limits of authority/decision making power (contracts manager, superintendent, project manager, project director, development manager, functional manager etc.)
- The interpersonal communication to make contracts happen
- Ethics in contract management – Are contractual obligations and ethics the same thing?
CONTRACT ADMINISTRATION AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- The interface between contract administration and project management
- The importance of effective systems for the administration of contracts
- Establishing timelines, lookups and prompts
- Contract compliance: monitoring, reporting and adherence to standards
- Document control and milestone planning
- Developing communication systems within the contract delivery hierarchy
CONTRACT MANAGEMENT SPECIFIC COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Understanding how effective contract specific communication can
- facilitate optimum contract delivery and administration outcomes
- Pre award conferences, the benefits and disadvantages
- Pre contract conferences – Their value and how to run them effectively
- Delegating effectively
- Dispute avoidance and resolution-contractual principles and practical procedures
CLAIMS, VARIATIONS, DISAGREEMENTS AND DISPUTES
- Payment claims – The legal principles and the practical procedures
- Variations – Legal principles and practical procedures
- Delays, extensions of time, delay costs and damages – Legal principles and practical aspects of their management
- Defects – The contractual remedies and the practical procedures for ensuring they are realised
THROUGHOUT THE COURSE
Examination, dissection and discussion of case studies
- Throughout the course, participants will interact and work with examples and case studies to identify various points of contract law, contract interpretation and practical contract administration. This is aimed at assisting learning
when & where
24 May 2021
27 May 2021
03 Jun 2021
27 Jul 2021
16 Aug 2021
20 Aug 2021
27 Aug 2021
09 Sep 2021
23 Sep 2021
27 Sep 2021
18 Nov 2021
06 Dec 2021
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.