Build confidence around legal terminology & contractual obligations to help protect your commercial interests, assist in contract development & avoid disputes. Better equip yourself to understand the legal advice you receive, interpret it correctly & generate true value for your business.
Key Learning Objectives
- Examine and address current topical issues in contract law
- Review statutory and common law obligations that must be incorporated into contracts
- Develop processes to ensure contract objectives are delivered while mitigating risk
- Review a select sample of contracts clauses to identify responsibility and liability
- Implement drafting changes that improve contract clarity and structure
- Discover how various contract clauses achieve maximum risk management by analysing drafting and testing techniques
- Understand and initiate a review of contractual governance in your organisation
- Design effective methods of dispute resolution and documentation collection
About the Course
First in our contract law series and our CMP Certification, this course is designed to address the foundations of contract law in the workplace.
Commercial arrangements sealed with signatures or handshakes are part of daily life for most professionals, across all industries and sectors. They remain good business practice because they’re built on enforceable principles of contract law. Yet with vaguely expressed contracts, unclear offers or acceptance, or even with questions of consideration or undue influence, contractual disputes are still common place.
This course will explore such details as when you need a contract, what type of contract exists and the effect of statutory law on your contractual arrangements.
It covers the crucial ingredients required for a good contract, provides tips for understanding contractual material, and looks at the traps and pitfalls of contract drafting.
The instructor will spend detailed time teaching participants how to interpret examples, and scrutinize what happens when things go wrong.
Who Will Benefit
- This practical fundamental course is relevant for ALL those who have dealings with contracts in their everyday business environment and is an excellent grounding for professionals new to dealing with contracts as part of their role – in any industry sector.
- This is for people with no or and very little understanding of contract law. It covers fundamentals therefore is designed to give people an introduction to contract law and how it fits into their daily contract management practice.
- People with many years of practical experience but no substantive knowledge of the law would find this course very useful as it provides them with a framework in which to place their existing knowledge.
- People can also use this course as a refresher if they have studied some law earlier in their career.
Live Online Training
Learn Anywhere, Learn Anytime
Catering to meet all your learning needs:
- Get high quality practical training from our expert instructors
- From Face To Face, Online and Blended Learning, get a superior solution for your learning needs
- Learn live online in an interactive environment
- Invest in yourself. Invest in your team.
Register today for our Live Online Training courses and fi nd out how they can help you transform the way you work. Contact one of our training consultants on firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
How In-house Training works?
Interested in exploring how our In-house Training works?
Cost-effectiveness aside, one of the biggest benefits to our clients of in-house training is the opportunity to customise and tailor the content, delivery method and exercises of a training course to their exact needs. In order to achieve this, we follow a collaborative approach to bring the client & the trainer together to explore needs, shape content and define outcomes.
This video will give you an insight into the process and how bespoke courses are achieved. For more information please contact Holly on +61 (02) 9080 4454 or email email@example.com.
The CMP Certification Framework
The CMP provides a robust method of up-skilling and recognising an individual’s expertise and experience in contract management and procurement. Our combination of in-class teaching, facilitation, knowledge based testing and workplace evidence based examinations has been carefully crafted to not only teach knowledge and skills, but to also demonstrate how individuals can apply their knowledge to work based situations. This Certification is recognised by IIBT and World Commerce & Contracting.
Informa Corporate Learning is a Learning Partner of the World Commerce & Contracting which is a not for profit association and the only global body promoting standards and raising capabilities in commercial practice.
The International Institute of Business & Technology Aust (IIBT) is a highly respected, Government approved, Australian provider of higher education and VET programs. Their suite of programs includes a University level Diploma of Business Administration, equivalent to the first year of a business related undergraduate degree at Australian Universities.
THE IIBT / INFORMA CORPORATE LEARNING ALLIANCE
IIBT and Informa Corporate Learning joined together to provide a pathway for those who complete Informa’s CMP at the Master level. All CMP Masters will receive Recognised Prior Learning (RPL): 2 units of credit in the 12 month, Higher Education, University level Diploma of Business Administration.
- Business Law (BL101)
- Management in Organisations (MGT101)
*This is a Higher Education Diploma equivalent to first year university NOT a Vocational Education Diploma.
Click here for more information.
“I learnt completely new facts. Some existing views are completely changed and the examples presented may have significant effects when I’m able to apply to real life situations.”
Contracts Officer, Optus
“This is my third course with Informa and with each course I learn more about contracting processes and contract law. I also feel like my learning from previous courses is refreshed.”
Warranty Co-ordinator, Origin Energy
“Good at engaging with students, terrific examples, well spoken, always has an answer. I would attend any of his courses.”
Estimator Services Projects, Outotec Pty Ltd
“Terry is a very engaging presenter and provides a rich array of examples to aid understanding. My experience with Informa was positive from beginning to end…Terry was an excellent presenter and the course content was well constructed and relevant. Terry took what was potentially a dry topic and brought it to life.”
Project Manager, KBR
Webinar: Force Majeure & Covid
Our expert course instructor Terry Reid delivered a webinar on Force Majeure & Covid. This webinar explains how Contracts are standing up in the light of current Covid situation and in particular how it is impacting pre-existing contractual duties. The webinar covers:
- Force Majeure, Drafting and Covid
- Contractual Mechanism
- Alternatives and Consequences
Webinar: Interpretation & Drafting
Our expert course instructor Terry Reid delivered a webinar to facilitate the need for an effective contract management system. This interactive webinar covers:
- Contract Interpretation – “An Art not a Science”
- Why do Interpretation issues arise
- Plain meaning rule and ambiguity
- The importance of Drafting
Webinar: Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables
Our expert course trainer Sean McCarthy delivered an insightful webinar on “Using & understanding contracts as tools for ensuring deliverables”.
- Overcoming some of the common challenges associated with managing contracts
- How contracts act as tools for achieving set outcomes across deliverables or projects
- The importance of contract interpretation and building confidence in dealing with contracts
The essential ingredients
- Offer and acceptance
- Intention – identify issues with Memoranda of Understanding, letters of intent and letters of comfort
- Certainty of terms – express and implied, agreements to agree
- Contingent conditions
- Consider the impact of ‘good faith’ requirements in contracting practice
A practical problem which highlights how the formation process can lead to problems within an organisation.
- Rules relating to commercial entities
- Agency issues
- Statutory provisions
- Practical steps to overcome capacity issues
Creating legal contracts
- Do contracts always have to be in writing?
- Consequences of non-compliance
- Part performance
- Variations and the rules
- How do you sign a contract?
What kinds of contracts are there?
- The real costs of “sloppy” contracts: learning from the mistakes of others
- Deeds vs. Agreements – what’s the difference?
- What are implied contracts?
- Standard form contracts and other express forms of contract
- Tenders and the legal issues which impact on the tender process
A case study considering problems in a tender situation. This will involve designing a process which avoids the legal and commercial pitfalls in tendering.
Constructing good contracts
- Understanding the form and content of a contract
- What makes a good contract: details and consistency
- The advantages of “Plain English”
- Risk management in contract drafting: exemption clauses and limitations of liability
- Legal issues surrounding indemnities & warranties
- Consider the problems with intellectual property clauses and how to overcome them
- Minimising misunderstanding: traps and pitfalls with drafting clauses
- Tips for effectively reading contracts
Examples of plain English drafting together with a case study which involves an approach to practical drafting.
Estoppel – knowing when & how to use it
- What are the principles?
- Inducement and detrimental reliance
- Exploring when and how to use estoppel
- Estoppel in practice – discussion of case law
- Practical tips to manage estoppel in contracting practice
Case study problem examining estoppel issues in a commercial setting
Statutory impact on contract law
- Trade Practices Act 1974
- Sale of Goods Act 1908
- Corporations Act 2001
- Workplace Relations Act 1996
Setting aside contracts
- Misleading and deceptive conduct
- Duress and undue influence
- Unconscionability – statutory unconscionability
This features a case study examining a contractual negotiation which leads to a contract but which contains clauses based on misrepresentation and mistake. How the law will treat these statements and the impact for the contracting parties is discase study examining a contractual negotiation which leads to a contract but which contains clauses based on misrepresentation and mistake. How the law will treat these statements and the impact for the contracting parties.
- Types of termination
- Consequences of affirmation and termination
Remedies for breach
- Specific performance
- Actions for debt and relief against forfeiture
- Alternative dispute resolution
- How and when damages are assessed
- What if the contract provides for the way damages are assessed?
- Liquidated damages and penalty clauses
- Reliance and expectation losses: damages resulting from “loss of a chance”
- Damages for disappointment, distress and psychological injury arising from breach of contract
- Matters affecting the recovery of damages: mitigation and contributory negligence
This is a case study on damages together with drafting a liquidated damages clause which will avoid the legal pitfalls and encourage use and compliance by contracting parties
Contractual issues in an e-commerce environment
- The contractual implications of e-commerce
- On-line trading, encryption and electronic signatures
- Jurisdiction issues
- The impact of e-commerce on contractual practice
Case study analysis throughout the course
- The course will underpin the legal rules which apply to contracts by using case examples and a detailed case study to suit the participant’s specific needs on the day.
- All case studies and examples will provide an excellent opportunity for participants to apply the legal principles which will assist in the development of organisational systems to promote better use of contracts.
when & where
09 Feb 2022
22 Mar 2022
22 Mar 2022
02 May 2022
24 May 2022
14 Jun 2022
21 Jun 2022
17 Aug 2022
20 Sep 2022
22 Sep 2022
08 Nov 2022
15 Nov 2022
28 Nov 2022
06 Dec 2022
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.