Key Learning Objectives
- Learn to lead project teams through various behaviour motivating dynamics
- Identify team members’ Motivational Value System to encourage enhanced collaboration for improved productivity
- Interpret the concept of integrity and ethics in modern project leadership
- Determine the predictable stages in the process of personal change and appropriate leadership strategies for support and guidance
- Conflict leadership
- Recognise the stages of team development and how to lead people through
- Correct structuring of teams especially in relation to ‘business as usual’ activities
- Determine various levels of project conflict and the most appropriate leadership strategy for its resolution
About the Course
This course is designed by an experienced leader and project professional to provide a solid foundation in leadership competencies required for the projects environment.
As a participant, you will complete a self-assessment of a range of important leadership skills, and you will be guided to an understanding of the core skills of leadership required for effective application in the projects environment.
You will learn how to provide vision and set direction for your project endeavours, and how to align and motivate people to work effectively as a team.
You will learn how to foster an environment of integrity, and to deal with the conflict that inevitably arises in the team environment. You will learn how to guide people through the constant change of the modern projects environment.
This course provides you an exciting opportunity to work interactively with other professionals and an experienced instructor/facilitator, and to engage in lively discussion, practical exercises, and class presented and other case study analyses.
Who Will Benefit
Senior project managers and executives responsible for gaining support from colleagues and project participants to guide a project to completion – advanced communication and negotiation skills with a particular to slant to their application in project management.
“Really enjoyed the psychological and pure behavioural aspects of the course that related to life as much as work. Alan’s wealth of knowledge and experience meant he had a lot of great examples to share.”
Project Manager, Abigroup
“(Alan) kept it interesting and related the steps with examples, he was approachable and always open for questions.”
Project Officer, Department Of Immigration And Citizenship
“(Alan) has such extensive experience in real situations in a broad range of projects and roles.”
Construction Manager, Hansen Yuncken
Leadership and management
- What is leadership?
- The difference between leadership and management
- What are your leadership strengths?
- How to articulate a Project Vision, while remaining focused on delivery of key project deliverables
- How to align your people and motivate them to pursue your vision
- Identify different leadership styles for the projects environment:
- The Control Approach and when to use it
- The Guiding Approach and when to use it
- The Supporting Approach and when to use it
- Empowering Approach and when to use it
Leading effective teams
- Defining and understanding the concept of ‘a team’
- Review of the stages of team development:
- Leading and maintaining effective, productive teams using an understanding of the psychology of team dynamics based on the above model
- Understanding the basics of relationships and how differences in the way people are motivated to perform affect your ability to lead
- Identify your Motivational Value System using the Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI®)
- How to be more influential and persuasive using an understanding of motivational and behaviour patterns
- Using an understanding of team members’ personal motivation differences to help you manage conflict more effectively
Ethics and leadership
- Ethics integrity and trust – corporate concept or reality of human experience?
- The importance of integrity in the leadership of project teams
- The difference between personal and organisational ethics and integrity
- Understanding the effect of extreme triple constraint focus on project team integrity of performance
Managing team conflict
- Defining the major sources of conflict in the projects environment:
- Understanding the approaches to dealing with conflict in the projects environment
- Using the SDI to manage conflict
- Aspects of negotiation in managing conflict
- Modern approaches to conflict management in the projects environment
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.