Key Learning Objectives
- Learn to identify and manage different types of business behaviour
- Benefit from an in-depth personal assertiveness assessment
- Discover how to enhance self confidence, self esteem, and self belief
- Recognise techniques for maintaining composure and credibility
- Develop critical skills to handle criticism, anger, negativity and confrontation
- How to overcome confidence breakers in the workplace
- Identify the differences between assertiveness, confidence, influence and power
- Develop the skills to make you a more confident, credible and assertive communicator
About the Course
Your ability to communicate your ideas, get your point across, lead your teams or simply maintain professional credibility can mean the difference between success and failure.
Competition is fierce in the business world and if you can have more and better professional tools, know how and when to use them, you will enhance both your career satisfaction and prospects. That is precisely what this interactive course is designed to do.
This course will provide the tools needed to improve performance in areas of: self belief; self-confidence; communicating; business language; listening; questioning; dealing with difficult people; influence; persuasion; professional presence; personal power; and more.
The focus of this course is on practical outcomes rather than academic learning. It also includes self-evaluation, group discussion, practical activities, practice techniques, checklists and action plans designed to facilitate change-oriented learning, for effective and immediate integration and application in your professional life.
Who Will Benefit
Any business professional who wishes to enhance theircomposure and personal profile at work, improve their assertiveness skills, and become more confident and effective in their interactions with those they work with; at all levels of the organisation
A CPD Course
Use this course to help fulfil your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) educational requirements to retain your professional/chartered status.
Contact your relevant association to learn how.
“Extremely good in terms of refreshing and reinforcing existing knowledge and introducing some needed theory/methodology in handling difficult situations.”
Senior Manager – Sustainable Development and Environment, BHP Billiton Nickel West
“The tools provided have helped me understand different behaviour and personalities which will stand in good stead while dealing with colleagues/clients and family and friends.”
Technical Manager, Trelleborg Engg. Syst.
“Both presenters were well informed and approachable and there were lots of practical exercises. I’m now able to influence the direction of situations by applying skills I have learnt.”
Director of Regulatory Affairs, CSL Ltd
THE CONTEXT OF PERSONAL-SELF ANALYSIS
Establishing where you could benefit from increased confidence
- Identifying personal objectives and outcomes
- Identifying key scenarios in which you would like to develop greater confidence and assertiveness
- Identifying personal barriers to success
- What aspects of your behaviour/communication should you change?
Enhancing self-esteem, self belief & self image
- Being authentic to yourself
- Overcoming self-imposed barriers and limitations
- Understanding how your values and beliefs affect your performance
- Recognising the impact of self-talk
- Changing from negative to positive thinking
- Conquering fear, anxiety and anger
- Practical steps to increasing your self-confidence
- Turning your intentions into actions
- Enhancing and building an energised self-belief
- Building a confident and assertive behaviour style
Professional presence & personal power
- Understanding the power of first and lasting impressions
- Utilising professional image as a communication tool
- The importance of being congruent – ensuring your verbal and non-verbal communication projects confidence, credibility and assertiveness
- Harnessing your resources to increase your professional presence
THE CONTEXT OF THE WORKPLACE
Communicating with confidence & assertiveness
- What actually is communication?
- Assessing your own communication style
- Recognising the communication styles in your organisation
- Assessing your natural communication strengths
- Making sure people receive your intended message
- Understanding how others influence and change our behaviour
- Positive language patterns
- Assertive language, effective voice, active listening, powerful questioning
- Developing confident body language
- Looking, sounding and speaking with greater confidence
- Addressing emotions in the workplace
- How to say ‘no’ assertively and without losing your job or your friends!
Effective business & professional conversations
- Developing convincing business dialogue
- Knowing your rights
- Promoting your leadership strengths
- Projecting confidence in challenging situations
Developing your assertiveness skills
- Key principles of assertiveness
- Differentiating between assertiveness and aggression
- Understanding negotiation skills
- Making effective decisions
- Powerful conversations
- Increasing your influence and persuasion skills
Assertiveness & aggression at work
- Defining assertiveness and aggression
- Why are some people “assertive” when others are considered “aggressive”
- The key differences in a business context
- What is and is not acceptable in the workplace
- Being assertive without being aggressive
- Techniques for effective assertive communication
- Getting your views, ideas and objectives across in an assertive way
- Understanding the principles of influence and persuasion
Dealing with difficult behaviour & situations
- What defines difficult characteristics/behaviour?
- Understanding emotions and feelings and why these differ between peers
- Facing and controlling fear and negative emotions
- Understanding why certain people and situations drain your energy and effectiveness, and strategies for overcoming this
- Recognising and dealing with intimidation and criticism confidently
- Direct and constructive feedback – giving and receiving
- Preparing effective solutions for difficult situations
- Moving from the negative to the positive, satisfying both parties
- Employing key principles of conflict resolution
- Negotiating a win-win solution to a variety of challenges
THE CONTEXT OF THE BUSINESS ARENA
Understanding the business & professional context
- How business objectives impact you
- Understanding your personal behavioural style and how you relate to others
- Understanding different behavioural models
- What causes people to behave the way they do in a range of professional contexts
- How behaviour from clients, customers and colleagues causes us to react in different ways
- How conditioning and beliefs affect our behaviour in certain scenarios
- How to use this information to change your attitude and behaviour from tomorrow
LEARNING TRANSFER: TAKING WHAT YOU’VE LEARNT BACK TO THE WORKPLACE
Developing your personal action plan for professional confidence & assertiveness
- How will you use the techniques and principles professionally?
- Identifying key issues and challenges
- Rehearsing success and increasing confidence
- Deciding how, when and where to take action
- Establishing plans for your long term personal and professional development
- Your immediate plan of action starting the day you get back to work
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.