The Annual Obstetric Malpractice Conference is the premier event of its kind in the Asia-Pacific region covering key medico legal obstetric issues and recent cases. It offers unique networking opportunities between top obstetricians, midwives, neonatal staff, barristers and other legal professionals making it a key event on the obstetric, midwifery and legal calendar.
Our communities are keen to reconnect, network and learn more than ever after months of disruption. We are excited to be moving back to face-to-face events but will continue to offer the option to attend the event virtually.
Informa is evolving & adapting with the times – and will be delivering premium content, unique networking and business development opportunities with key decisions makers across our specialised health conferences in the months ahead to ensure you can stay connected.
Key topics to be addressed:
- Staffing and Infrastructure across rural and regional settings
- Accreditation and upskilling the practitioner
- Key developments within recent clinical guidelines and standards
- The rippling effects of Obstetric care
- Still Birth and perinatal deaths
- Medico Legal Liability
- Responsibilities of the Legal and Clinical Professional
- Law Reform
- Complications within Surgery
- Special Damages
- Obstetric anesthesia during difficult emergencies
- Child Death Obstetric Cases
- Getting the balance right in antenatal advice: Providing the tools to navigate risks and options in the maternity journey
- Gaining consent for medical treatment
- Impact of emerging technologies in obstetrics
Attendance at the Obstetric Malpractice Conference equals 11 CPD Hours
Attendance at the Obstetric Malpractice Conference equals 10.5 CPD Hours
Chair, Medical Board of Australia
CEO, Australasian Birth Trauma Association
Special Counsel, Maliganis Edwards Johnson, Chair, Australasian Birth Trauma Association, Director, Physiotherapy Board of Australia & Director, Corryong Health
Professor Ted Weaver OAM
Senior Medical Officer- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Sunshine Coast University Hospital (SCUH), Clinical Sub-Dean, Griffith University School of Medicine Sunshine Coast, Co Chair, QLD Maternal & Perinatal Quality Council
Dr Raphael Kuhn
Medical Secretary of Medico-Legal Society of Victoria and Member of Medical Advisory Panel of Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority and Vice-Chairman of Human Research and Ethics Committee Melbourne IVF
Dr Sascha Callaghan
Senior Lecturer, University of Sydney Law School & Co-Chair, ABTA Clinical Advisory Committee
Dr. Rajiv Varma
MB, BS, FRCOG, Consultant Gynecologist, Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital; Inventor of Fetal Pillow®
Andrea de Souza
Barrister, Victorian Bar
Special Counsel, Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers
Mary Anne Hartley QC
Principal Solicitor, Remedy Law Group
Clinical Midwifery Consultant, St George Hospital, Perinatal Interprofessional Psychosocial Education, Maternity Clinicians & Project Manager, Western Sydney University
Associate Professor Alka Kothari
Senior Staff Specialist, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Redcliffe Hospital, Conjoint Associate Professor, The University of Queensland, Member, ABTA Clinical Advisory Committee
Dr Amber Moore
Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, St Vincent’s Private Hospital & The Epworth Freemasons Hospital & Consultant Gynaecologist, The Royal Womens Hospital
Registered Midwife, Wollongong Hospital, Clinical Midwifery Consultant, Maternity Services NSW Health ISLHD and Co-Chair, ABTA's Clinical Advisory Committee
Associate Professor, Queensland University of Technology, Co-Director, Australian Centre for Health Law Research
Clinical Director, Victorian Clinical Genetics Service
Dr Emmanuel Karantanis
Obstetrician and Urogynaecologist, St George Private and Public Hospitals, Conjoint Associate Professor, UNSW
Dr Vinayak Smith
Adjunct Lecturer, Monash University- Clinical innovation management, Trainee Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
Professor Jonathan Hyett
Head of High Risk Obstetrics, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
National Head of Medical Negligence, Maurice Blackburn
Clinical Associate Professor Boon Lim
Executive Director & Senior Staff Specialist, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Canberra Hospital, Clinical Associate Professor, ANU Medical School
Dr Adam Mackie
Staff Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Practice Manager - Legal (Civil) NSW, Avant Law
Dr Jeremy Chin
Medical Co Director (Women, Children & Youth), Royal Darwin Hospital
Dr Andrew Pesce
Obstetrician and Gynaecologist & Clinical Network Director Women’s Health, Western Sydney LHD, Chair, Medical Insurance Group Australia and Medical Defence Association of South Australia
Health Box is a video-on-demand service providing a deeper dive on key topics, themes and questions relating to health and life sciences events in Australia and APAC. Visit our website here.
Health Box boasts a rich mix of free content for you to “snack on” at your own leisure including:
- Speaker interviews
- Executive briefings – short messages from organisation CEOs or senior management
- Fast Chats – an interview style short video (5-10minutes) from an expert thought leader in your organization to provide solutions to challenges, announce new products, make a company announcement and many more.
- Explainer videos – a short custom video providing targeted content as a potential elevator pitch, educating buyers about a specific issue or product feature.
- Expert panels
- LinkedIn Recommended Ads – get your brand Infront of our market leading LinkedIn Groups.
We know you can’t always attend all our events, but we also know you like to get a feel for some of the key topics, themes and messages from events. Health Box offers a taste of what is on offer at our flagship conferences so you can make an informed choice on joining our events.
Each Health Box episode is different and each month we release a new episodes on different topics.
Have a message, project or idea to share? Connect with us ahead of our upcoming episodes to learn how you can get involved or we can work with you to create a new episode. Let us take care of you!
For more information on how your company can get involved in a Health Box episode, contact
Senior Business Development Manager
+61 2 9080 4432
Informa Health & Safety Commitments
When you join our event, you can expect to see that health and safety is a priority, and that a range of measures are in place to ensure everyone involved is able to enjoy a safe, hygienic, productive and high-quality organised event experience.
All Informa events will be run according to official government and local authority guidance in the first instance, as well as any venue or location-specific regulations. In addition, Informa Australia will follow some key health and safety priority commitments as part of “Informa AllSecure”.
Vaccination required for all in-person attendees
To ensure the maximum safety of our audiences, Informa requires all in-person participants (speakers, delegates, partners, sponsors, exhibitors, suppliers) to be fully vaccinated in order to gain access to the physical event. For those unvaccinated or partially vaccinated, we encourage you to participate in the event by booking a virtual pass to attend the event.
This is an important measure to keep our community members safe who have not yet been able to get vaccinated or who are unable to get vaccinated. We hope it will also help infuse confidence and alleviate concerns that some may still have about attending an event in person.
For more information and to see our FAQs about our Covid-19 health & safety approach, please visit https://www.informa.com.au/allsecure/
Event Health & Safety measures in place
- Informa will continue to adhere to the COVID-19 rules and restrictions applicable to the local state government where the event will be run
- Enhanced cleaning and hygiene practice including deep cleaning and sanitization before, during, and after our events has been implemented
- Reduced contact registration is in place
- Physically distanced seating options in line with local authority regulations will be provided in all venues
- Contact tracing: All attendees will be required to check-in to the event venue using the relevant government Covid-safe app
Conditions of entry:
Entry to an Informa event for attendees and staff is not permitted if they:
- are experiencing any cold or flu-like symptoms
- have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19
- are themselves, or residing with anyone who is, waiting the results of a test for COVID-19
- have returned from international or interstate (where relevant) travel and failed to observe the government requirement to quarantine for 14 days
- Are not able to provide proof of vaccination
For more details please visit https://www.informa.com.au/allsecure/
when & where
07 - 08 Dec 2021
68 Market St,
Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 9238 8888
Swissotel Sydney Special Accommodation Rate: 10% discount off best available rate at the time of booking. In order to qualify, please call the Reservations Team on 02 9238 8888 between 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday or email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote INFORMA