Key Learning Objectives
- Brief review technical components of the gas supply chain
- Examine the upstream, gas transportation and downstream gas business structures
- Industry overview – sector activities and intra/inter sector relationships
- Discover the foundations of the Australian gas market and the gas commercialisation process
- Review the analytical tools used by the industry to make investment decisions
- Examine strategic and commercial drivers for major gas market participants
- Consider the future of the Australian gas market and observe trends
- Discuss gas industry legislation, regulation and the relevant agencies affecting the value chain
- Review the main contracts used in the gas industry and fundamental contract issues
- Tips for negotiating key commercial terms and the legal traps to watch out for
About the Course
This course will provide participants with a fundamental grounding in the Australian gas industry, covering the key technical, commercial and contract aspects of the industry.
The course begins with a short review of upstream activities, including how natural gas (conventional and coal seam methane gas) is formed, how it is found and produced. A study of the gas transportation network will outline the movement of gas flows around the country, infrastructure capacities and constraints and how gas is delivered to customers.
The commercial section provides an analysis of the east Australian gas market and explains the business strategies of major industry players. With an understanding of how the existing gas market works and the fundamental drivers for changes, future market outcomes will be examined. Learn what upstream producers, gas transmission pipelines, retailers and customers should do to position for these dramatic market changes.
Interpretation of new and emerging policy developments, legislation and their effects on the gas industry will also be covered.
The last section will review the major commercial and legal aspects of industry agreements, including gas sale contracts, gas transportation, joint venture and asset sale agreements. Gain insights into how to negotiate the key legal and commercial terms of these agreements.
Who Will Benefit
This course is ideal for those looking for a thorough grounding in all aspects of the Australian gas market technical and business oriented professionals who are new to the gas industry or experienced in one part but could benefit from a wider perspective.
All levels of industry support staff, legal, investing or financial consultants who desire a better understanding of the industry that will help them work more effectively and speak more confidently with industry peers and stakeholders.
“The instructor was inspirational, warm and built rapport with participants immediately and throughout the course. I learnt how to structure my communication in a succinct, clear and influencing way.”
Senior Brand Manager, McDonalds Australia
BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THE TECHNICAL ASPECTS OF GAS – FORMATION AND PRODUCTION
- How natural gas is formed
- CSM, conventional and unconventional gas
- Exploration, development and production of natural gas
- Classification of natural gas reserves
TECHNICAL ASPECTS OF THE DOWNSTREAM INDUSTRY
- Gas transportation fundamentals
- Australian gas infrastructure network – transmission pipelines and local networks
- Gas transportation pipeline projects
- Transmission constraints and what they mean
ECONOMIC ANALYSIS IN THE AUSTRALIAN GAS INDUSTRY
- Economic tools
- Upstream economic analysis
- Pipeline economics
- Portfolio analysis
THE AUSTRALIAN GAS MARKET STRUCTURE
- History and structure of the Australian gas market
- Australian gas market – supply and demand
- Gas customer requirements (industrial, retail, power generators)
- How gas is bought and sold in Australia and wholesale spot markets
GAS MARKET PARTICIPANT STRATEGIES
- Major gas industry players
- Market power
- Regulation and ACCC
- Company strategies to maintain and strengthen their market position
- How to tame the big guys
THE FUTURE AUSTRALIAN GAS MARKET – TRENDS
- Fundamental change drivers
- Price volatility and the rise of gas capacity issues
- Future gas market in 5 years and 15 years +
- How customers, producers, retailers and should position themselves for the future market
AUSTRALIAN GAS MARKET PRICING, CONTRACTS AND COMMERCIAL NEGOTIATION
- Contract basics
- Gas pricing in Australia
- Gas purchasing and getting the best price
- Commercial negotiation basics
AUSTRALIAN GAS INDUSTRY CONTRACTS – AN OVERVIEW
- Typical industry agreements – what’s important and what’s not
- Review of major commercial and legal aspects of gas sales agreements, gas transportation, asset sales agreements and joint venture agreements
- Contracting traps and tricks for buyers and sellers
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.