Contract Management Professional
"Interactive learning with practical examples on solid theory base of how to conduct contractual business at law"
Commercial Manager, Tiwest Joint Venture
"Thoroughly enjoyed this course. Learnt some common sense techniques for understanding contract law."
Deputy Project Manager, Decmil
"Covered a lot of aspects that I did not consider & I have learnt about some key issues that I will look for now when reviewing contracts across the board."
Manager Panel Relations, IMS Health
"Small group, entertaining presenter, lots of interaction & discussion, Have learned a lot & reinforced some current practice & new ideas for updating practices."
Contracts Manager, Trident
"The course addressed issues relating to contracts and provided a greater depth of knowledge regarding contract preparation"
Major Projects Manager, Brisbane Airport Corporation
"Additional insights into practical administration of contracts. Diversity of opinion & experience from fellow participants."
General Manager Quarries, Boral Resources Ltd
"Terry's experience, stories and delivery makes course very enjoyable. My knowledge has increased further in legal terms, interpretations and essential agreements of contracts. Great extension after doing Fundamentals of Law."
Procurement Manager, Alstom Power
"The course gave me a number of useful tools that I can take back to my workplace. It was all relevant, the pace of discussion was very good."
Manager Contract Governance, Bankwest
"Getting an overview of the entire contract management process. I appreciated someone making sense of it all for me! So practical."
Contract Manager, Airservices Australia
"Outline and topics were great and relevant, particularly in relation to how to draft a good clause etc. & pricing forms with a matrix to assess what is best to use. All 'tools' learnt were very good."
Contracts Officer, MMG Century Ltd
"Learnt ways to improve my drafting skills of excellent ways to negotiate. The contracts role training has been really helpful."
Contracts Officer, HWE Mining
"Great real life examples. A good overview on contractual principles as applicable to construction."
Legal Officer, Rio Tinto
"Interactive approach. Hearing about other participants challenged on sharing experiences. Reinforced my ideas and filled in some gaps in knowledge."
Service Contract Officer, LinkWater
"Very informative with great examples given throughout the 2 days. Increased knowledge on negotiating skills."
Logistics Coordinator, Mitsubishi Motors
"The group discussion, stimulating and casual environment, and high quality instructor"
Process Engineer, Hunter Water
"I found this course and its content to be of an excellent standard - I am extremely impressed, especially with the trainer."
Investment Officer, Lachlan CMA
"I really enjoyed the interactive learning/teaching style and I have learnt what my goals were of drafting better scope & better management of contracts."
Senior Contract Administrator, Airservices Australia
"Good delivery of a different subject matter that is most relevant to my role. Learnt a considerable amount that will help me better understand, manage, control & deliver the contracts I'm involved in."
Project Manager, Powercor Network Services
"The interaction with the presenter. I have gained a deeper understanding & knowledge of some of the law concepts affecting our company."
Estimator, Sage Automation
"Working through examples that we can relate to our own work. My knowledge was only limited and I now have a basic understanding of Contract Law."
Sales Manger, VLI Conveyors
"I enjoyed the case studies & examples. Understanding contract admin terminology & I gained a better knowledge of the concepts."
Contracts Manager, Austar
"I enjoyed the plain English version on contract law. Very easy to understand and flowed well. I enjoyed the real examples rather than theory."
Senior Contract Specialist, Telstra
"The interaction and student participation was great. This has assisted in pointing me in the right direction for reviewing terms and conditions."
Corporate Finance Manager, Western Process Controls
About the CMP Certification
The CMP Certification addresses all of the knowledge areas required to become a proficient contracts manager.
This certification has been designed and developed, based on research with the Australian contract management community and the CMP Executive Panel. Its goal is to address the desire for all people involved in the contract life cycle, to avoid the pitfalls, headaches and cost blowouts that can occur when contracts are not tight, well structured, or well managed.
The CMP Certification framework facilitates the learning and direct application of knowledge and skills in the workplace. It has been developed through rigorous peer review and is refined regularly, in response to customer feedback, industry research, new trends and changes in legislation.
Participants can complete the whole certification, the sub-certifications, or, select the most relevant units to align with your company's training needs analyses.
Customised, in-company versions of the CMP are available. We can work with your company's contracts and contractual issues, and develop case studies more relevant to your unique and confidential objectives.
The CMP Certification Structure
The CMP Certification is the main certification available in the CMP series.
Candidates must complete 6 core units: plus 2 electives
- The core units are mapped into 2 knowledge areas, contract law and contract management
- The units are in the form of 2-day, face-to-face learning workshops
- The units/workshops comprise teaching, facilitation, questioning, discussions and knowledge based testing
Upon passing the 8 units and tests, candidates may apply for the 2 knowledge area examinations:
- Take-home, study based and comprise short and long answers
- Require candidates to demonstrate the application of their knowledge in the workplace
Upon passing the 2 examinations and 8 tests, the candidate becomes a Certified Contract Management Professional (CMP)
- Once becoming a CMP, you qualify as meeting the education entry requirement for Qualified Membership of the AAPCM
- The AAPCM will also recognise your completion of CMP units for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) purposes
- Candidates can fast track a diploma, then a bachelor degree through the IIBT alliance on completing and passing 10 units and becoming a CMP Master
The CMA & CLS Sub-Level Certifications
There are 2 interim, sub-level certifications that may be achieved as part of the CMP framework.
1. The Contract Law Specialist (CLS)
- The CLS is for those who want to feel confident with their knowledge and analysis skills around contract law, to improve their ability to work more directly with legal aspects of contracts
- The CLS requires completion and passing the tests for all 3 Contract Law Units at both the Fundamental and Advanced levels. It also requires the completion of the Contract Law Exam
2. The Contract Management Associate (CMA)
- The CMA is the first step on the pathway to becoming a CMP. It provides a fundamental overview and application of core contract management skills
- The CMA requires completion and passing the tests for 3 Core units and 1 Elective at the Fundamental level
The CMP Master - Fast-Track to a Diploma or Bachelor Degree
For those contract management specialists who may not have a formal higher educational or university qualification, Informa have aligned with IIBT, an Australian higher education provider, to provide a fast-track to:
- A Diploma of Business Administration (through IIBT)
- A Bachelor Degree (through IIBT)
- As a CMP Master you will gain 2 units of credit towards the 1-year Diploma of Business Administration
- Complete the Diploma of Business Administration and gain guaranteed articulation into 2nd year of a relevant bachelor degree at the IIBT partner universities
The Full Range of Certification Pathways
*CMP Master means that you will be able to gain 2 units of credit toward’s IIBT’s Diploma of Business Administration. On successful completion of the diploma, you gain direct entry to a 2nd year degree in the business faculty of one of the IIBT partner universities: Curtain University, University of Wollongong, University of Tasmania, Swinbume, University of Technology, Edith Cowan University and Bond University
The CMP Certification Pathway
How does the CMP benefit you and your organisation?
1. Be confident knowing that Informa's CMP is Australia's longest established, premier CMP Certification based on a mix of theory and knowledge based application, rigorously quality checked by the CMP Executive Panel
2. The learning achieved will help consolidate your and your organisation's knowledge and skill base in contract management. It's relevant for the private and public sectors
3. Either complete this certification through the open schedule of course offerings, or create a tailored, in-company version of the certification using your own contracts, examples, systems and documents to achieve more specific learning outcomes
The CMP Endorsing Bodies
As a CMP you automatically become a qualified member of the Australian Association of Procurement & Contract Management (AAPCM)
- Once becoming a CMP, you qualify as meeting the education entry requirement for Qualified Membership of the AAPCM.
- The AAPCM will also recognise your completion of CMP units for Continuing Professional Development
The CMP Certification is endorsed by the Australian Association of Procurement and Contract Management (AAPCM), which actively promotes the professionalism of Australians working in procurement and contract management. This is achieved by building on the strong foundations of existing Australian vocational or tertiary qualifications in procurement, endorsing other high quality training for procurement and contract management professionals using the Australian national procurement competency standards to certify the skills, knowledge and professional practice of their members.
As a CMP you qualify as meeting the education entry requirement for Qualified Membership of the AAPCM. The AAPCM will also recognise your completion of CMP units for Continuing Professional Development (CMP Purposes).
Membership of AAPCM provides recognition for you and confidence for your employer. Certification standards are rigorous, but achievable by most.
Find out more at www.aapcm.com.au
The International Institute of Business & Technology Australia is a highly respected, government approved, Australian provider of higher education and VET programs. Their suite of programs includes a university level Diploma of Business Administration, equivalent to the first year of a business related undergraduate degree at selected Australian Universities.
IIBT endorse the CMP Certification framework, therefore will recognise those who become a CMP Master and provide them with 2 units of credit towards a Diploma of Business Administration.
Find our more at www.iibt.wa.edu.au
The IIBT/Informa Corporate Learning Alliance
IIBT and Informa Corporate Learning have joined together to provide a pathway for those who become CMPs and may wish to gain a Diploma or University qualification.
All CMP Masters will received Recognised Prior Learning (RPL): which is 2 units of credit in the 12 month, Higher Education - University level Diploma of Business Administration.
- Business Law (BL 101)
- Management in Organisations (MGT 101)
This Diploma has guaranteed articulation into the second year of a relevant bachelor degree at one of the IIBT partner universities, including:
Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, University of Tasmania, Swinburne University of Technology, Bond University and University of Wollongong.
Meet the CMP Executive Panel
Our panel of experts combine over 100 years of expertise in contract law, contract management, contract strategy and contract risk. They have impressive formal qualifications, extensive teaching experience, are authors of books, research papers and have designed university level curriculums.
They serve as qualified lawyers, barristers, solicitors, associate and adjunct professors and visiting lecturers around the world.
Actively involved with various professional associations and public speaking engagements, our experts have contributed to policy, training and education in the field of contract management.
Widely recognised and respected, our experts write and teach the CMP Certification syllabus, facilitate and mark and grade all of the tests and examinations.
Terry has over 24 years of global experience as a barrister, solicitor and lecturer, and is an expert in the delivery of courses on a variety of legal topics
Qualified in law, with over 20 years experience, Alana combines contracts and management consulting, corporate training and legal practice
Sara is a globally recognised expert in contracting with a PhD in the topic. She has worked with over 70 business functions; contract values up to $1.5billion pa
The CMP Key Learning Objectives
- Understand how to draft and interpret contracts and recognise rights and obligations
- Examine the process of entering into contractual relationships
- Prepare strategically for every contract negotiation, employing skills, tactics and strategies of commercial negotiators
- Understand the use and amendment of standard form contracts
- Appreciate the difficulties involved in designing and applying supplier selection/evaluation criteria
- Introduce cooperative negotiation and partnering skills for contract formation and dispute avoidance/resolution
- Execute contract negotiations from both contract conditions and financial/technical performance perspectives
- Appreciate the contractual issues surrounding variations, delays, disruptions, performance and contractual issues and develop procedures to address them
- Analyse effective document control, reporting and communication systems
- Set up a risk-managed contract strategy and planning guidelines
- Apply advanced strategies and further develop your negotiation, persuasion and influence skills to take your contracting abilities to the next level
- Examine statutory and common law obligations that must be incorporated into contracts
- Learn to read and interpret contracts with confidence
- Develop processes to ensure contract objectives are delivered whilst mitigating risk
- Implement strategies that ensure your contracts are plainly and clearly expressed
- Ensure contract clauses optimise risk by mastering drafting and testing techniques
- Review numerous terms and conditions relevant to your industry
- Maintain control of the contracting process by designing an appropriate framework for using terms and conditions effectively
- Implement reviews of contractual governance in your organisation to ensure contract management excellence
- Design effective methods of dispute resolution and documentation collection
- Examine and address current topical issues in contract law